Old 28-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Roy

Default Catfish feed for Koi

I know there atre diehards against this and those that do it. Today
when I picked up feed at thelocal feed mill I also picke dup a bag od
Feed for catfish. Its folating type and the pellets are approximately
the same size as the Satori (sp?) brand of feeds. Comparing the
analysis tags on both my regular Koi feed and the catfish feed, the
only difference between the two is one item..........The Koi feed has
a max of 6.0% crude fiber while the cat fish feed has a max of 6.5%
crude fiber content.. All other ingredients are esentially the same
right downto the amounts of Vitamins and minerals.........It also
states on the bag do not feed when water temp is lower than 50 deg....

I placed some in a container of water, and no oil slick appeared which
is typical of some floating feeds. Does not get soggy any faster than
the regular koi feed does either.

I threw a cupfullout to see what they would do , and in no time at all
it was gone.........they certainly are not fussy. Best part is the
catfish feed is only $10.00 a 50# bag as compared to $20 some bucks
for less than 5# bag.

The fellow at th feed mill (locally owned and operated company) told
me they sel tons of this feed to the various zoos and Parks around
here and they use it for their Koi, and have been doing this for
years.

Guess only time will tell. A bunch of pond pigs can get expensive to
feed. I feed anytime I go around the pond as I can't resist the urge
to feed em and see em come up for food and watching them scarf it up.
Water temp in pond is still in the high 70's........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.