Old 28-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Tlsrider

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea winter care

Hello,

My name is Rick and I live in New England. (USA, zone 5). In my part of the land we are at the time where you bring all your tropicals indoors and prepare your hardy trees for the winter ahead. I have a Bougainvillea that I purchased last winter. It was bought from a nursery where it was kept in a heated greenhouse with other tropicals. At the time it had flowers. Once spring came around I brought it outside where it continued to grow but lost all its flowers and never flowered again.

I have read that they need a dormant period with temps around 49-54 F. (6-12 C). Is this really neccessary? I dont see how I can accomplish this while keeping it indoors. I read that they need this dormant period in order to flower in the summer. So I guess what I am asking is this:
What is the best way for me, Zone 5, to winter my bougie? (here is a pic)http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ga...pic.php?t=2053

As always, I am very grateful for any advice offered.....................................Rick

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++