Old 28-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Tlsrider

Default [IBC] Bougainvillea winter care

Hello,

My name is Rick and I live in New England. (USA, zone 5). In my part of the land we are at the time where you bring all your tropicals indoors and prepare your hardy trees for the winter ahead. I have a Bougainvillea that I purchased last winter. It was bought from a nursery where it was kept in a heated greenhouse with other tropicals. At the time it had flowers. Once spring came around I brought it outside where it continued to grow but lost all its flowers and never flowered again.

I have read that they need a dormant period with temps around 49-54 F. (6-12 C). Is this really neccessary? I dont see how I can accomplish this while keeping it indoors. I read that they need this dormant period in order to flower in the summer. So I guess what I am asking is this:
What is the best way for me, Zone 5, to winter my bougie? (here is a pic)http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ga...pic.php?t=2053

As always, I am very grateful for any advice offered.....................................Rick

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

I looked at the picture and it looks like glued on rocks on the surface of
the pot. If it is remove them NOW. I'll bet you are over watering. Bougies
don't respond well to cool, wet situations. I seem to have better luck in peat
based soils and use Metro Mix 500 for mine.
They do like to be pruned and will respond well to pruning. They bloom only
on new growth and yours doesn't look healthy.
I wouldn't worry about the dormant period. Thye grow and bloom all year in
south Florida. Put it indoors, don't over water, give it as much light as
possible, prune as needed and it should repond well next spring when you can give
it full sun again.
Remember that this is a tropical plant and even in summer the sun in Zone 5
is not anything like the sun in Zone 10.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-09-2004, 04:42 AM
Bart Thomas

I have read that they need a dormant period with temps around 49-54 F.
(6-12 C). Is this really neccessary? I dont see how I can accomplish this
while keeping it indoors. I read that they need this dormant period in order
to flower in the summer. So I guess what I am asking is this:
What is the best way for me, Zone 5, to winter my bougie?

I don't know about a dormant period. Mine don't seem to need one
artificially induced.

Last fall, as an experiment, I took a patio bougie in and stuck it by a west
window for the winter. It survived, if not thrived, and by late summer was
blooming profusely (outdoors as soon as possible.)

I feed it generously, and often withold water until the leaves go limp. I
mooch greenhouse space for my specimen trees, but feed and water them the
same way here in New Jersey. They are tough plants, so don't give up on the
tree if you lose all leaves. Chances are, it will come back.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Craig Cowing

Tlsrider wrote:

Hello,

My name is Rick and I live in New England. (USA, zone 5). In my part of the land we are at the time where you bring all your tropicals indoors and prepare your hardy trees for the winter ahead. I have a Bougainvillea that I purchased last winter. It was bought from a nursery where it was kept in a heated greenhouse with other tropicals. At the time it had flowers. Once spring came around I brought it outside where it continued to grow but lost all its flowers and never flowered again.

snip

I have found that aphids were the biggest challenge for me last winter. Stay right on top of that. I sprayed with an insecticidal soam (Safer) and that helped.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Gordon Williams

[IBC] Bougainvillea advice CLSC Bonsai 4 06-03-2003 03:39 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning Neal Ross Bonsai 2 27-02-2003 03:53 AM