Old 29-09-2004, 03:19 AM
John Savage

(---pete---) writes:
I looked it up in my Freezing Guide (by Dow, makers of ziplock bags)
And it says to wash Squash/Zucchini, then blanch it for 3 minutes
or steam it for 4 minutes, thern put it in the freezer bags and freeze
it.

Just in case you don't know, blanching means to get the water
boiling and drop the things in, then wait 3 minutes and remove them.
You can even run them under cold water to stop the cooking process
but I'm not sure it's necessay for zucchini.

I think the zucchini grower should experiment with the length of
time she steeps the zukes in boiling water. I can say that 3 minutes
in boiling water would see my zucchinis cooked right through; this is
excessive for blanching. The time needed depends on the size of the
fruit. Zucchinis are at their tastiest when they are just about four
inches long, without their stem, and at this size I reckon around
one minute might be enough. Though if you leave them to grow to full
maturity then your longer blanching time will be needed.

I wonder would microwaving the fruit be an alternative to dunking
in water? Anyone tried it?