Old 29-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Nina Shishkoff

(Anita Hawkins) wrote in message
Also, the fruits and flowers seem to appear only on the heavy trunks
(cauliflorous, Nina is that the right word?)

It is indeed. I checked it in the "Royal Horticultural Society Index
of Garden Plants", compiled by Mark Griffiths and published by Timber
Press. This is an extremely handy book; not only does it list the
most correct name for most plants (and includes a common name index,
so if you look up "Candle tree", you get Parmentiera cereifera), but
it includes an awesome glossary of botanical terms. I always forget
the difference between sympodial and monopodial, and obovate and
ovate, and serrate and serrulate, but this book suuplies definitions
and handy picture. I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't
outrageous.

Nina