Old 26-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Candle Tree

Hi Everybody

About four years back I bought a Candle Tree plant from Ratna Dave in Mumbai. I was training it into a simple informal right style. One fine morning, in a storm blew up and the upper part above the first branch broke up. Over a period of time, the first branch grew about a meter long. I trained it into a beautiful Cascade style with very good rhythmic fall. But sadly it neither flowered nor the fascinating Candles appeared over it. Can anybody tell how should I stimulate it to bloom and produce Candles?

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Ovais

what is the botanical name for this tree, or another local , common name, i
am not able to recognize it.
ovais
karachi
About four years back I bought a Candle Tree plant from Ratna Dave in

Mumbai. I was training it into a simple informal right style. One fine
morning, in a storm blew up and the upper part above the first branch broke
up. Over a period of time, the first branch grew about a meter long. I
trained it into a beautiful Cascade style with very good rhythmic fall. But
sadly it neither flowered nor the fascinating Candles appeared over it. Can
anybody tell how should I stimulate it to bloom and produce Candles?

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Anil Kaushik

Ovais

It is Permenteria sp. I wander if I spelled it correctly.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

Old 28-09-2004, 05:46 AM
Anil Kaushik

Ovais

This a native plant of some Latin American country and the common name that
I know is "Candle Tree". Of course its botanical name is "Parmentiera
cereifera". The beauty of this plant is that, unlike in other plants, its
legumes grow upwards like Candles. Where as all legume like fruit or seed
pods dangle downwards.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

dear Anil, what do they call it locally, the Indian name. regards

Old 29-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Anita Hawkins

Hello Anil, I found your discription very interesting, so I did search
on Web for botanical name...

This a native plant of some Latin American country and the common name that
I know is "Candle Tree". Of course its botanical name is "Parmentiera
cereifera". The beauty of this plant is that, unlike in other plants, its
legumes grow upwards like Candles. Where as all legume like fruit or seed
pods dangle downwards.

I find this site and others with good pictures:
http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/candle_stick_tree.htm
and they all show its fruits hanging *downwards* like candles that
have just been dipped. If you have ever made candles by hand, they
look exactly like this! And their size is up to 12 inches long, good
size for a candle, but very large for a bonsai

Also, the fruits and flowers seem to appear only on the heavy trunks
(cauliflorous, Nina is that the right word?), so perhaps yours is
simply not old enough to have flowers. Or the flower buds might be
easily rubbed off, or mistaken for insects and removed...

It is said to be closely related to Jaboticaba, which is often used
for bonsai. Some of the cultural hints for this plant's flowering
might also help your Candle Tree.

Good luck with it!
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 29-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Anil Kaushik

Hello Anita

Thank you for giving all the information. I could lay my hands on a three
years old Magzine with an article showing two colour photographs. Yes you
are right the fruit of this plant is shown "hanging downwards". But when I
bought this plant I was told that this is the only plant whoes legume like
fruit grows upright and looks like a candle. I was facinated and quickly
bought the plant. Anyways I am sending you a picture of this plant.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

Hello Anil, I found your description very interesting, so I did search
on Web for botanical name...

[...]

Candle tree plant? Marie Rainwater Gardening 4 19-10-2005 04:36 PM
[IBC] Candle Tree Anil Kaushik Bonsai 0 26-09-2004 04:23 PM
Sulphur Candle? SH United Kingdom 1 31-01-2004 03:33 PM
[IBC] Fall Candle Pruning Tim Ahlen Bonsai 2 01-11-2003 02:12 AM
[IBC] Fall Candle Pruning-Chart Michael Persiano Bonsai 0 22-10-2003 03:12 AM