Old 29-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Snooze

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
m...
What exactly is good soil? I used to know, then I have heard too many
answers to this question to think that I know any more.

In particular, I am talking about a soil that is natively clay, in
zone 4 or 5, used for flowers (both annuals and perennials).

Some people say, ADD SAND. Other people say, No, if you add sand,
you'll just lock up the clay and make "concrete" out of it.

Some people say, ADD COMPOST. Other people say, No, if you add
compost, you'll lower the pH too far.

And similarly for adding manure, Miracle-Gro, lime, bark, lawn
clippings, dry leaves, etc etc etc.

Can somebody who really knows, please settle this?

Good soil is largely dependent on the kind of plants that you hope will grow
on it. A good balance of compost, sand, clay, gypsum, bark, lawn clippings,
etc makes good soil for general gardening needs.

Miracle-Gro is good, if you use it with an understanding of what it is.
Think of Miracle-gro as the plant world of a candy bar, gets the plant some
fast quick energy but not great for the plant in the long run, because it
doesn't provide nutrients for the microfauna in the soil.

Snooze