Old 29-09-2004, 10:39 PM
GeeBee

I always prune mine back at this time of the year, taking back this years
growth to about 5 leaves from last years cut, find the cut count 5 and
snip......I also prune any branches back that have grown too long for me to
reach when I am standing on my stepladder. The trees are about 12 years old
and this year has been the best ever for fruit.

SNIP....The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's
spreading
out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back by
between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back to
where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should chop?