Old 29-09-2004, 09:38 AM
IanW

Default Cutting back apple tree

Hi

The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's spreading
out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back by
between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back to
where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should chop?

Thanks

Old 29-09-2004, 02:43 PM
J Jackson

IanW wrote:

: The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's spreading
: out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back by
: between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back to
: where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should chop?

I'd wait until the tree is dormant - leaves all fallen etc. I usually do
my big pruning in Jan/Feb

Big largish branches you can probably just cut back - I'd suggest to
back to more than you need, to allow 1/2 new shoots to grow out and form
new branches. These will be pretty productive in the coming years.

Try and imagine where you want the new growth to go and angle the cut in
that direction and sloping so that the cut surface is protected from rain
a bit.

The big problem with big cuts is that in spring there will be loats and
lots of vigorous new shoots sprout up. Most of the these need to removed
by "rubbing" out very early on, leaving one or 2 to grow into replacement
branches in the right direction.
Old 29-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Philip

Here is some stuff .... http://doityourself.com/fruits/prune_apples.htm
Old 29-09-2004, 10:39 PM
GeeBee

I always prune mine back at this time of the year, taking back this years
growth to about 5 leaves from last years cut, find the cut count 5 and
snip......I also prune any branches back that have grown too long for me to
reach when I am standing on my stepladder. The trees are about 12 years old
and this year has been the best ever for fruit.

SNIP....The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's

Old 01-10-2004, 01:45 PM
IanW

"Philip" wrote in message
om...
"IanW" wrote in message

Hi

The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's

spreading
out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back

by
between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back

where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should

chop?

Thanks

Here is some stuff .... http://doityourself.com/fruits/prune_apples.htm

thanks.. that's a good link

Old 01-10-2004, 02:02 PM
IanW

"J Jackson" wrote in message
IanW wrote:

: The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's

spreading
: out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back

by
: between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back

: where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should

chop?

I'd wait until the tree is dormant - leaves all fallen etc. I usually do
my big pruning in Jan/Feb

Big largish branches you can probably just cut back - I'd suggest to
back to more than you need, to allow 1/2 new shoots to grow out and form
new branches. These will be pretty productive in the coming years.

I want some apples next year too, so bettwe not get too chop-happy, I guess

Try and imagine where you want the new growth to go and angle the cut in
that direction

that's a good idea.. I hadn't thought so much of shaping the tree as simply
"taming" it, but I'll think more on that.

Thanks
Ian

Old 26-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Gary

On 10/1/04 6:02 AM, in article , "IanW"
wrote:

"J Jackson" wrote in message
IanW wrote:

[...]

Hi Ian
I think learning the basics from the site already mention in a previous
post and then reading up in books at the library etc...i.e. Get lots of info
then go to it. If it were possible to get 5 people to prune the same tree
and, after the first had finished, all branches could magically be put back
on the tree to allow the next to prune...you would find that not one would
do it exactly the same way. But what they do the same way, is follow the
basics.
Gary