Old 30-09-2004, 02:21 AM
DK

Hi there BV,
Thanks so much for your quick mail. Really appreciate the useful pointers.

Cheers
Danny

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"DK" wrote in message
I'm planning to build a water garden-cum-fish pond in my garden and am
looking for a simple yet effective design (not the sophisticated koi

pond
type) to produce optimum results where pump, waterfall & filtration are
concerned. My pond is going to be about 18ft x 30ft & 1-3ft deep.

Depending on your area, you may want to go a bit deeper to ensure plenty

of
winter room at the bottom of the pond, below any ice that may form.

I've gone to many websites but I still think getting advice from people

who
have constructed and are still maintaining ponds in their gardens would

be
the best source of useful feedback.

This is a great place to come then!

* I intend to have a skimmer tank which drains to a filter chamber that
houses a submersible pump which in turn raises water to the waterfall

tank.

* Can I also drain water from the mid-section or bottom section of the

pond
to the filter chamber as well to have more effective filtration?

You'd probably be better off with a bottom drain. With a BD, you will have
the circulation you are looking for as well as a way for the bottom of

the
pond to get a cleaning. A properly installed BD will keep the bottom

nicely
clean.

* Should I also have a separate bottom drainpipe outlet for the purpose

of
periodical cleaning of the whole pond ?

Why not run it all of the time?

What is the best design? What I basically need to know is the best &

most
recommended positions of the skimmer, filter chamber, filter drain pipe

&
pump in relation to the position of the waterfall.

The best? That will vary based on conditions.

I would be most grateful if I could get some useful pointers from you

guys
out there .

Check out http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/default.asp, for some more
background information.