Old 29-09-2004, 04:13 PM
DK

Default Advice needed for pond design

I'm planning to build a water garden-cum-fish pond in my garden and am
looking for a simple yet effective design (not the sophisticated koi pond
type) to produce optimum results where pump, waterfall & filtration are
concerned. My pond is going to be about 18ft x 30ft & 1-3ft deep.

I've gone to many websites but I still think getting advice from people who
have constructed and are still maintaining ponds in their gardens would be
the best source of useful feedback.

* I intend to have a skimmer tank which drains to a filter chamber that
houses a submersible pump which in turn raises water to the waterfall tank.

* Can I also drain water from the mid-section or bottom section of the pond
to the filter chamber as well to have more effective filtration?

* Should I also have a separate bottom drainpipe outlet for the purpose of
periodical cleaning of the whole pond ?

What is the best design? What I basically need to know is the best & most
recommended positions of the skimmer, filter chamber, filter drain pipe &
pump in relation to the position of the waterfall.

I would be most grateful if I could get some useful pointers from you guys
out there .

Many thanks & regards
Danny

Old 29-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Benign Vanilla

"DK" wrote in message
I'm planning to build a water garden-cum-fish pond in my garden and am
looking for a simple yet effective design (not the sophisticated koi pond
type) to produce optimum results where pump, waterfall & filtration are
concerned. My pond is going to be about 18ft x 30ft & 1-3ft deep.

Depending on your area, you may want to go a bit deeper to ensure plenty of
winter room at the bottom of the pond, below any ice that may form.

I've gone to many websites but I still think getting advice from people

who
have constructed and are still maintaining ponds in their gardens would be
the best source of useful feedback.

This is a great place to come then!

* I intend to have a skimmer tank which drains to a filter chamber that
houses a submersible pump which in turn raises water to the waterfall

tank.

* Can I also drain water from the mid-section or bottom section of the

pond
to the filter chamber as well to have more effective filtration?

You'd probably be better off with a bottom drain. With a BD, you will have
the circulation you are looking for as well as a way for the bottom of the
pond to get a cleaning. A properly installed BD will keep the bottom nicely
clean.

* Should I also have a separate bottom drainpipe outlet for the purpose of
periodical cleaning of the whole pond ?

Why not run it all of the time?

What is the best design? What I basically need to know is the best & most
recommended positions of the skimmer, filter chamber, filter drain pipe &
pump in relation to the position of the waterfall.

The best? That will vary based on conditions.

I would be most grateful if I could get some useful pointers from you guys
out there .

Check out http://www.iheartmypond.com/Design/default.asp, for some more
background information.

BV.

Old 29-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Benign Vanilla

"DK" wrote in message
I'm planning to build a water garden-cum-fish pond in my garden and am
looking for a simple yet effective design (not the sophisticated koi pond
type) to produce optimum results where pump, waterfall & filtration are
concerned. My pond is going to be about 18ft x 30ft & 1-3ft deep.

I've gone to many websites but I still think getting advice from people

who
have constructed and are still maintaining ponds in their gardens would be
the best source of useful feedback.

* I intend to have a skimmer tank which drains to a filter chamber that
houses a submersible pump which in turn raises water to the waterfall

tank.
snip

One thing I neglected to mention. I would include some sort of plant
filtration (Veggy Filter) into your design. IMHO, there is no better filter,
then a Veggy Filter.

BV.

Old 30-09-2004, 12:58 AM
RichToyBox

Based on the dimensions of your pond and not having koi, the liner and
plants in the water garden will probably provide worlds of filtration. The
size of the pump should probably be determined based on what kind and size
of waterfall you will want to add to the decor. A veggie filter is just
another water garden with more plants than the usual pond will handle, but
it can be incorporated either as a feeder pond for the waterfall or as the
discharge from the pond to the pump. If you are going to add a filter, then
I highly recommend both a skimmer and a bottom drain. The skimmer will
catch much of the debris before it has a chance to settle to the bottom.
Situate the skimmer on the east side of the pond, if possible, since the
prevailing winds come from the west and will help to blow the floating
material to the skimmer. For this size pond it would probably be a good
idea to have at least 2 skimmers. If you can make the bottom of the pond
round like a bowl, since this will help the debris to flow downhill to the
bottom drain.
--
RichToyBox

Old 30-09-2004, 02:21 AM
DK

Hi there BV,
Thanks so much for your quick mail. Really appreciate the useful pointers.

Cheers
Danny

&

Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 PM
DK

Hey there,
Thanks so much really for the wonderful input. Value it.
Regards,
Danny

Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

See my ponds and filter design of how we did it.
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/ *My Filter* *Demon Pond Filter* & *Lily
Pond*

I'm sold though on Vortex filters if you want easy maintenance, at least
for the prefilter chamber, if you have the money. ~ jan