Old 30-09-2004, 07:56 AM
gregpresley

If you faithfully added well-composted cow manure (an inch or so every
single year) and lightly raked it in to the top of your existing soil, over
time (say in 3 or 4 years), you'd have a lovely soil that would enable most
of the annuals and perennials that do well in zones 4 and 5 to thrive quite
well. Depending on where you live, earthworms will do a lot of the work for
you, because they will tunnel through the soil and the compost
redistributing it more evenly. Even though aged manure is relatively low in
nitrogen relative to fresh, it still adds more than most commmercial
composts, which are heavy on forest products (shredded bark and sawdust
primarily). I say to rake it in, because sometimes compost will sort of
clump on the top of the soil, absorbing most of the water, and therefore
acting a bit like mulch instead of a soil amendment.
"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message
m...
What exactly is good soil? I used to know, then I have heard too many
answers to this question to think that I know any more.

In particular, I am talking about a soil that is natively clay, in
zone 4 or 5, used for flowers (both annuals and perennials).

Some people say, ADD SAND. Other people say, No, if you add sand,
you'll just lock up the clay and make "concrete" out of it.

Some people say, ADD COMPOST. Other people say, No, if you add
compost, you'll lower the pH too far.

And similarly for adding manure, Miracle-Gro, lime, bark, lawn
clippings, dry leaves, etc etc etc.

Can somebody who really knows, please settle this?

Thank you very much!

Ted Shoemaker