Old 30-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Nina Shishkoff

(Anil Kaushik) wrote in message ...
Nina

Once again I am out to bother you! Many books on Bonsai recommend that after root pruning, immerse the potted plant in Vitamin B 1 solution.

B 1 is the "magic" ingredient in "Superthrive", so you have waded into
dangerous territory. Andy Walsh, a chemist, once wrote a post
(probably in our searchable archive)explaining how plants (unlike
humans) produce their own B 1, so the application of exogenous B1 was
unlikely to do anything. I have searched the scientific literature
and only found the occasional paper that shows that "Superthrive" has
any effect, and none of the research controls for the other
ingredients (including fertilizer) in Superthrive. So my response
would be to forget the whole thing. Other reasonable people would
differ.

Nina