Old 30-09-2004, 03:59 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Vitamin B 1 Solution

Nina

Once again I am out to bother you! Many books on Bonsai recommend that after root pruning, immerse the potted plant in Vitamin B 1 solution. Here in India it is not available. However Vitamin B 1 tablets (100mg) are available for human beings. Can such a solution be made by dissolving a tablet in water? If yes in what concentration? How much water should be taken to dissolve one 100mg tablet? And finally does the concentration of Vitamin B1 affects the roots because once you wrote "roots are not intelligent..........". Please!

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

....Andy Walsh, a chemist, once wrote a post
(probably in our searchable archive)explaining how plants (unlike
humans) produce their own B 1, so the application of exogenous B1 was
unlikely to do anything...
I have no empirical evidence one way or the other regarding B1 and its use after repotting. However, just because plants have the ability to produce their own B1 (or ANY other vitamin, chemical, enzyme...) in no way indicates that supplementation of that substance does not help. We humans can manufacture most amino acids we need for muscle growth given the appropriate raw materials. However - that does NOT necessarily mean that is the optimal situation. A proper regimen of supplements can drastically improve the bodies ability to generate new muscle growth. This is especially true following trauma or when the body is experiencing extreme stress. Is the same true for plants (repotting, root pruning, transplanting are times of extreme stress for the plant)? I don't know, but I would have to hypothesize that if "superfeeding" really does work - it must be true to some extent.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 05:03 PM
Steve wachs

It is only my opinion , but I think Vitamin b1 is the so called miracle
ingredient in Superthrive. It is also put out by various large manufacturers
of Plant food. Schultz, Otho. and such.
I have a bottle of Schultz Start Plus it contains 0.0210% . Vitamin B1.
you can probably dilute one pill in water and stretch it pretty far.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Anil Kaushik

Hi Jim

Now I got that! By the way which place you are based at? Also please let
me know if there is way to know who's who on the IBC and from which country.
Knowledge of climatic conditions and cultural practices (OF PLANTS) of a
particular place helps in understanding the problems and their solutions.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

On 3 Oct 2004 at 8:49, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hi Jim

I really don't know how my post landed in your inbox, it was for the

entire
IBC list and was addressed to Nina.

Well, I have been a member (and for several years, manager) of
the IBC list since 1989. So that's how I (and 1,000 other
people) got it.

I started out my message saying that I wasn't Nina, but had some
info. However, IF you only want a single person to answer your
mail, you should send the mail directly to her or him and NOT to
the 1000-member IBC.

Anyways Thank you for the information.

Any time ;-)

jim (NOT Nina)

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Oct 2004 at 7:03, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hi Jim

Now I got that! By the way which place you are based at? Also please let
me know if there is way to know who's who on the IBC and from which country.
Knowledge of climatic conditions and cultural practices (OF PLANTS) of a
particular place helps in understanding the problems and their solutions.

I'm in Tallahassee, Florida. That is in the very northern part
of the state. Our summers are much like yours, but we do have a
chilly winter (Temperatures down to 13 degrees F).

I responded to another message with instructions about finding
people on the list, so won't do it again here. ;-)

We try to ask people to ID where they're from in their e-mails,
but not everyone does.

jim

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++