Old 30-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

snip

Some of these cultivars are very fussy. If you want a dwarf Chinese elm that is
easier to care for, try to get hold of 'Seiju.'

snip

I gave up on
'Hokkaido' because it is just too much trouble, but I love my 'Seiju.' After
only a few years of training it looks like a real old tree.

I had the same experience with Hoddaido elm. I assumed that the Seiju cultivar was
just as fussy but maybe not. Have others found a difference in caring for these
two cultivars?

Another dwarf elm that appears to be foolproof is Ulmus xhollandica 'Jacqueline
Hillier.' You will probably have to get both of these from US or Europe. I
don't know if they are available from China or Japan.

How commonly available is the Jacqueline Hillier cultivar? I've never seen it.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)