Old 30-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm "Dwarf"

Hi Everybody

About three years ago I and some other members of or Club acquired some Dwarf Chinese Elms. The leaves of this species are similar to those of the Chinese elm expect they are tiny only 3 to 5 mm long. One variety has yellow margins and is sold as variegated. The plants are easy to propagate from cuttings. But when we transplant the rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive. Despite best efforts we could save hardly 5 percent. Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is repotted. On the other hand, regular Chinese elm is very hardy and can tolerate all rigors. If anybody has some remedy please inform. Please also tell whether it is a hybrid and if so who are the parents or if it is a natural species.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Iris Cohen

The leaves of this species are similar to those of the Chinese elm expect
they are tiny only 3 to 5 mm long.

What you probably have there is Ulmus parvifolia 'Hokkaido.' It is not a
hybrid; it is a very dwarf cultivar.

One variety has yellow margins and is sold as variegated.

There are two or three variegated cultivars of Chinese elm. You would have to
give us more information before we can determine which one. However, they all
get about the same care.

But when we transplant the rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive.
Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is repotted.

Some of these cultivars are very fussy. If you want a dwarf Chinese elm that is
easier to care for, try to get hold of 'Seiju.' Meanwhile, leave your rooted
cuttings in the original bed longer before you transplant them, and try not to
disturb the roots of the cuttings or bonsai when transplanting. I gave up on
'Hokkaido' because it is just too much trouble, but I love my 'Seiju.' After
only a few years of training it looks like a real old tree.
Another dwarf elm that appears to be foolproof is Ulmus xhollandica 'Jacqueline
Hillier.' You will probably have to get both of these from US or Europe. I
don't know if they are available from China or Japan.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 30-09-2004, 01:47 PM
Craig Cowing

Iris Cohen wrote:

snip

Some of these cultivars are very fussy. If you want a dwarf Chinese elm that is
easier to care for, try to get hold of 'Seiju.'

snip

I gave up on
'Hokkaido' because it is just too much trouble, but I love my 'Seiju.' After
only a few years of training it looks like a real old tree.

I had the same experience with Hoddaido elm. I assumed that the Seiju cultivar was
just as fussy but maybe not. Have others found a difference in caring for these
two cultivars?

Another dwarf elm that appears to be foolproof is Ulmus xhollandica 'Jacqueline
Hillier.' You will probably have to get both of these from US or Europe. I
don't know if they are available from China or Japan.

How commonly available is the Jacqueline Hillier cultivar? I've never seen it.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Michael Persiano

Anil writes:

About three years ago I and some other members of or Club acquired some Dwarf Chinese Elms. The leaves of this species are similar to those of the Chinese elm expect they are tiny only 3 to 5 mm long. One variety has yellow margins and is sold as variegated. The plants are easy to propagate from cuttings. But when we transplant the rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive. Despite best efforts we could save hardly 5 percent. Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is repotted. On the other hand, regular Chinese elm is very hardy and can tolerate all rigors.

Anil:

I cannot identify the cultivar, but I can give you advice. If you are repotting in extreme heat, you are going to constantly face this challenge. This particular Elm may not like to have its roots disturbed.

You need to attempt to acquire a rooting hormone with gel. Such products are sold in the US, particular, Transplant 1- Step by Roots. If your club needs to acquire this product, let me know and I will help you find a source.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have generic ulmus parifolia, Seiju, Hokkaido,
varigated, etc. I do cuttings like crazy and have
little problems.

One method I have tried for rooting cuttings and
having them sit for a while is to root in a seed
starting medium cut with pearlite or pumice. I
recycle a glass jar from jam or pickles. I find a pot
slightly bigger than the jar and use the jar as a
glass bell.

This way I can root the cuttings, take of th jar to
harden off and wait a while to transplant (like a
couple of years). Id do have my best luck though from
root cuttings rather than top cuttings.

A nice piece of Hokkaido broke off one of my trees.
It is about 3/4' in diameter. It rooted with no
problem.

Now what I do have a problem with is getting cuttings
of Hime Shara (stewartia) Repotted without dieing.

Kitsune Miko

--- Iris Cohen wrote:

[...]

"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the
light of the oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 30-09-2004, 04:16 PM
kevin bailey

I can only confirm that Seiju and Cork Barked Chinese Elm root and
transplant very easily for me - almost 100% success. I tend to pot them
on as soon as they are securely rooted, usually a month or two after
they are inserted in seed trays (cutting flats). Mine are protected with
plastic propagator tops and semi-shaded until they root.

I too love the Seiju as it is fast growing but with tiny leaves. Perfect
for mame.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Steve wachs

"The plants are easy to propagate from cuttings. But when we transplant the
rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive. Despite best efforts we could
save hardly 5 percent. Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is
repotted. "

I transplant Chinese Elms in the spring, just before its growing season
starts. Cutting that root are repotted at this time. I work with a few
different varieties of ems. THe only variegated I work with is called Frosty. I also
work with Seiju ,Yatsabutza, Cedar Elms, one more I received as a Seiju but
is of another variety I am not sure of. I also try Catlins. to me catlins
are touchy. There is a dwarf Elm called Niri. as well

I guess you have to know when your trees go into a dormant period, if you
have one in India.

There is one Variegated Elm that I have great difficulty finding. It 's
called Yuzin. In the spring the entire leaf is cream color almost yellow with
white edges, it retains this color for about 3 weeks then the leave turns
green with white edges. In the spring it is the most striking tree. even among
some of the most colorful maples. I have seen it in a greenhouse among
beautiful bonsai , but the Yuzin stood out every spring.

SteveW

Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++