Old 01-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:56:36 GMT, (Anna Kettle)
wrote:

Had to put wire mesh round my bin, after a rat gnawed a hole through
it. And we're not talking an average plastic dustbin - this is a 40
gallon plastic 'spice' barrel...about 5mm wall thickness.

That must have been one hungry rat. I'd have thought there would
generally be much easier pickings around. Was it the middle of winter?

Springtime - but even in the harshest winter there'd be easier
pickings around, what with the various nuts and seeds that get put out
for the birds.
I rather think that rats quite like the odd bit of plastic - I had a
rat in the outhouse one year and noticed that it had nibbled the
handles on the kid's bikes in preference to other accessible foodstuff
such as seeds and bulbs.

Either that or it was desperately attracted to the contents of the bin
- the maturing bin next to it was untouched.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk