Old 01-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Wendy

Hello & welcome Lise, You may have a Nobile type dendrobium? Some lose
their leaves & go dormant for 2 to 3 months.
Sounds like you are watering too much. Orchids need filtered
sunlight all day also fresh air. I can't grow indoors because of this.
Wish I could help more.
Cheers Wendy

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:07:37 -0400, Lise Sedrez wrote:

My husband gave me a beautiful orchid last week--the label says it is a
dendrobium orchid. As soon as we arrived home, I dutifully hit the
internet trying to find out as much as possible on orchid care. Yet,
less than four days after we brought it home , my orchid is loosing its
leaves. the leaves become wet, losing that firm texture, and fall. The
blossoms are still beuatiful.

Now, I know that overwatering is the most common sin for beginners. But
I did the soil test (poking my finger in the soil up to the second
knuckle). I watered it (with fertilizer) only on hte first day and today
(very little) four days later. I live in Virginia, so humidity is not a
problem. the temperature seems right, as well. One problem is that my
house doesn't get much light--I placed the orchid in the brightest
corner I could find, but it doesn't mean much. Yet I doubt that three
days with little light would be eno0ugh for the leaves to fall.

Could you help me please? I did try to an answer in the internet and in
"wrinkled leaves", and maybe this is it. But in this case, the leaves
actually fall.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Lise