Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM
jane

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:09:07 +0100, griz wrote:

~Tim Tyler wrote:
~
~ On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 17:37:10 GMT, Tim Tyler wrote:
~
~ Anyone know if you can grow Turmeric, Galangal or Karachi from roots in
~ the UK?
~
~ So far my ginger has sprouted - but my Turmeric and Karachi have not
~ shown any signs of life. I will persist...
~ --
~
~I planted a piece of ginger in my allotment back in July - nothing at all
~sprouted.
~Last weekend I decided to dig it up - there was only the outer skin left
~and nothing at all inside.
~
~I tried years ago to grow it in a pot also without much luck - didn't rot,
~but didn't grow either. What am I doing wrong? Do you put a whole piece
~with a few buds? How deep? Should it be done in spring?
~
I mentioned on urg a few weeks ago that I'd had quite some success
with my experimental ginger. I planted a 4" length root from the local
supermarket with a couple of shoots on it. I now have loads of shoots
and some 5 flower cones too! I am waiting for it to die back naturally
before I dig it up and see how big my root is now. Hopefully 3-4 x as
big as it was. I only used a 7" pot so it might not be as big as it
could have been...

I grew it in a humid and hot conservatory, and it got hammered by red
spider mite. But it survived.

--
jane

Mark Twain