Old 01-10-2004, 02:02 PM
IanW

"J Jackson" wrote in message
IanW wrote:

: The apple tree in my garden gave a good crop this year, but it's

spreading
: out a bit too much. I reckon several branches could do with cutting back

by
: between 1 & 3 feet. Is it as simple as just chopping the branches back

: where I want, or is there a particular part of the branch one should

chop?

I'd wait until the tree is dormant - leaves all fallen etc. I usually do
my big pruning in Jan/Feb

Big largish branches you can probably just cut back - I'd suggest to
back to more than you need, to allow 1/2 new shoots to grow out and form
new branches. These will be pretty productive in the coming years.

I want some apples next year too, so bettwe not get too chop-happy, I guess

Try and imagine where you want the new growth to go and angle the cut in
that direction

that's a good idea.. I hadn't thought so much of shaping the tree as simply
"taming" it, but I'll think more on that.

Thanks
Ian