Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 AM
John Savage

(knll) writes:
I will try your recipe before I get the other stuff. There are quite a
few natives in my garden, despite it being in inner city Brisbane,
that I would hesitate to throw too much chemicals around.

I would like to see users of white oil, regardless of the targetted
plant, first do a test spraying of one or two insignificant branches,
and a week later do the remainder if nothing untoward happens after the
test spraying. Too many people come to grief with white oil for it to
be applied without an initial test application, IMHO. I'm not sure of
the exact mechanism, but it seems that the oil makes the leaves become
very sensitive to sunlight. Then should the plant be exposed to strong
sun during this vulnerable period, it may experience massive leaf drop.

If they are potted palms, I'd keep them in full shade for 4 or 5 days
before gingerly edging them back into dappled shade.