Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Warren

Romy Beeck wrote:
I know you can can tomatos but can you freeze them instead? I hear you
can boil them and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Can anyone
help me out? THANK YOU

Well, you could freeze whole tomatoes, but even with careful thawing,
they'd come out mush. You could use them for cooking, but you wouldn't
want to just eat them no matter how carefully you thaw them. I'd advise
mashing them down when freezing to minimize the air in the container,
but not so much that they're going in already as mush. You might
consider pealing, and removing the seeds, depending on the variety.

Each year I make tomato sauce, and freeze it in 1-qt. disposable
containers. It's easier than canning, but you need to have enough
freezer space. When rearranging my freezer to make room for this year's
batch, I found a container from 2002. Thawed it out, and made dinner
with it. Still better than store-bought sauce.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Efficiently gather leaves from your lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...r/blowers.html