Old 02-10-2004, 03:35 AM
Romy Beeck

Default Freezing Tomatos

I know you can can tomatos but can you freeze them instead? I hear you can
boil them and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Can anyone help me
out? THANK YOU

Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Warren

Romy Beeck wrote:
I know you can can tomatos but can you freeze them instead? I hear you
can boil them and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Can anyone
help me out? THANK YOU

Well, you could freeze whole tomatoes, but even with careful thawing,
they'd come out mush. You could use them for cooking, but you wouldn't
want to just eat them no matter how carefully you thaw them. I'd advise
mashing them down when freezing to minimize the air in the container,
but not so much that they're going in already as mush. You might
consider pealing, and removing the seeds, depending on the variety.

Each year I make tomato sauce, and freeze it in 1-qt. disposable
containers. It's easier than canning, but you need to have enough
freezer space. When rearranging my freezer to make room for this year's
batch, I found a container from 2002. Thawed it out, and made dinner
with it. Still better than store-bought sauce.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Efficiently gather leaves from your lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...r/blowers.html

Old 02-10-2004, 09:52 AM
gregpresley

You can also freeze them open on a plate or cookie sheet on a shelf in your
freezer. and then, when solidly frozen, put them in freezer bags, push out
as much air as you can, and voila, you have ripe tomatoes to add to
spaghetti sauce, homemade tomato soup, etc, during the tomato-lean winter
and spring months. I have not found it necessary to boil them before
freezing, although obviously boiling would allow you to skin them easily.
However, I just skim off the skins when I cook them in sauces or soups.

Old 02-10-2004, 02:23 PM

I have taken green tomatoes, rinsed them in bleach water and set them not touching on
newspaper in the cool basement and some of them made it to Xmas dinner. Ingrid

"Romy Beeck" wrote in message
I know you can can tomatos but can you freeze them instead? I hear you

can
boil them and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. Can anyone help me
out? THANK YOU

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
N. Thornton

"gregpresley" wrote in message ...
You can also freeze them open on a plate or cookie sheet on a shelf in your
freezer. and then, when solidly frozen, put them in freezer bags, push out
as much air as you can, and voila, you have ripe tomatoes to add to
spaghetti sauce, homemade tomato soup, etc, during the tomato-lean winter
and spring months. I have not found it necessary to boil them before
freezing, although obviously boiling would allow you to skin them easily.
However, I just skim off the skins when I cook them in sauces or soups.

isnt it a risk to freeze things without boiling them first?

NT

Old 02-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Warren

N. Thornton wrote:

isnt it a risk to freeze things without boiling them first?

No. Virtually nothing in my freezer was boiled before freezing.

Boiling, or more likely par-boiling, may be used for certain products to
help preserve color or texture, but it won't help for tomatoes. It
would, however, be appropriate for vegetables like green beans, peas,
corn, etc. Generally if you can buy a vegetable frozen, par-boiling
before freezing would probably be appropriate.

If you intended to peal the tomatoes before freezing, par-boiling would
allow you to remove the skin without removing the meat, but it's not
necessary.

As for the safety aspect, even for the vegetables that you would
par-boil, it has nothing to do with safety. A brief bath in boiling
water isn't going to do anything that a brief bath in cold water
wouldn't also accomplish safety-wise.

--
Warren H.