Old 03-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Pam - gardengal

"fran" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:41:57 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

Most of the honeysuckles will work fine - they are not invasive in our
climate

Uhh, sorry to contradict, but Japanese Honeysuckle *is*
invasive! If you want honeysuckle, stick with the native varieties
(check Wayside Gardens - they carry yellow and red varieties). They
bloom well and the hummingbirds love them.

Fran, if you read my post closely, I said they are not invasive in OUR
climate, meaning the PNW, where both the OP and I reside. We have lots of
other invasive plants to contend with but honeysuckle is not one of them.

It is all very well and good and really quite noble to jump on the invasive
plant bandwagon, but most folks do it without a complete understanding of
what invasives are and how they may differ significantly from region to
region. And in my position as a professional horticulturist certified by the
state of Washington, I would never suggest or recommend growing a known
invasive species.

pam - gardengal