Old 02-10-2004, 04:53 AM
Don W

Default Hummingbird Vine planting question

Hello

We got 3 hummingbird vines in the mail today and at the moment they are
on the pretty small side. We plan on planting them in front of a chain
link fence and since we are new to this we were wondering how far from
the fence should we plant them. We do plan on having the vines on the
fence but i wasnt sure how far to plant the vine near the fence. A few
inches from the fence...a foot away...?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Travis

Don W wrote:
Hello

We got 3 hummingbird vines in the mail today and at the moment they are
on the pretty small side. We plan on planting them in front of a chain
link fence and since we are new to this we were wondering how far from
the fence should we plant them. We do plan on having the vines on the
fence but i wasnt sure how far to plant the vine near the fence. A few
inches from the fence...a foot away...?

Thanks

I planted mine right under the trellis. I have heard they can become
quite a pest in certain (warm?) parts of the country.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 02-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Don W" wrote in message
Hello

We got 3 hummingbird vines in the mail today and at the moment they are
on the pretty small side. We plan on planting them in front of a chain
link fence and since we are new to this we were wondering how far from
the fence should we plant them. We do plan on having the vines on the
fence but i wasnt sure how far to plant the vine near the fence. A few
inches from the fence...a foot away...?

Thanks

I know of at least a couple plants commonly referred to as 'hummingbird
vine' but as one is an annual (Ipomoea quamoclit), I am assuming you mean
Campsis radicans or trumpet vine. This is a big, aggressive vine that
develops a heavy and very woody trunk, so make sure your chain link fence is
sturdy enough to support it. You can plant as close as you like or as is
convenient, assuming the fence is not set into a concrete curbing. This
plant doesn't actually vine as such - no curling tendrils like clematis,
honeysuckle or grapes - but it does need a support. It will typically grow
to the top of the support - the fence in this case - and then spread along
the top.

I'd second Travis's comment about it being invasive. I've been trying to get
rid of mine for years. It will send up shoots from the roots a considerable
distance away from the mother plant. Not a huge problem if it is a lawn area
that gets mowed frequently, but a real bother in a planting area, or in my
case, a paved patio. The hummers DO love it - I just have other, more
manageable plants to offer them.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-10-2004, 04:47 PM
StanB

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

The hummers DO love it - I just have other, more
manageable plants to offer them.

Such as?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Pam - gardengal

"StanB" wrote in message

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

The hummers DO love it - I just have other, more
manageable plants to offer them.

Such as?

Wow - where to start?
Dutch honeysuckle (Lonicera pericylmenum, non-invasive) and L. sempervirens
Clematis orientalis
hardy fuchsias
Cape fuchsia - Phygelius
Ribes sanguineum and odoratum
Leycesteria formosa
Cotoneaster bullatus (tree form)
ornamental salvias
agastache
crocosmia
penstemon
daphnes

I've also seen them feed at weigela, abelia, escallonia and at sarcococca,
corylopsis, hellebores and heathers in winter.

pam - gardengal

Old 02-10-2004, 06:27 PM
StanB

The hummers DO love it - I just have other, more
manageable plants to offer them.

Such as?

Wow - where to start?
Dutch honeysuckle (Lonicera pericylmenum, non-invasive) and L.
sempervirens
Clematis orientalis
hardy fuchsias
Cape fuchsia - Phygelius
Ribes sanguineum and odoratum
Leycesteria formosa
Cotoneaster bullatus (tree form)
ornamental salvias
agastache
crocosmia
penstemon
daphnes

I've also seen them feed at weigela, abelia, escallonia and at sarcococca,
corylopsis, hellebores and heathers in winter.

I should of mentioned that I'm in zone seven just north of Philadelphia.
Thanks, I'll try some of them. By the way, begonias work too.

Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Don W

Thank You Pam and Travis for your feedback.

After reading your msgs these newbies decided that we made a mistake
getting these vines excatly for the reasons that you stated in your
feedback about them. I guess the thing that stood out about the vine was
the hummingbird part of the name and we do want to put some type of
vine/vines along the chair link fence. We are out here in the Portland
Oregon area and we are now looking for new suggestions for vines to
plant along the fence.

Any suggestions??

Thanks again for the feedback

Don

Old 02-10-2004, 07:03 PM
Travis

StanB wrote:

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

The hummers DO love it - I just have other, more
manageable plants to offer them.

Such as?

If you have room for a tree the Hummers love my Embothrium coccineum
aka Chilean Fire Tree.

http://www.heronswood.com/catalog/01160?FNc8dpaA;;27

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Pam - gardengal

Most of the honeysuckles will work fine - they are not invasive in our
climate although some of them are more rampant growers than others and some
seem overly prone to powdery mildew and aphids. You could also consider an
evergreen clematis, Clematis armandii, which will provide a very attractive
evergreen screen along the fence with fragrant white blossoms in early
spring. If it is an area that gets lots of sun (like all day), star jasmine,
Trachelospermum jasminoides, is another evergreen vine with fragrant white
blossoms.

Old 03-10-2004, 01:20 AM
fran

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:41:57 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

Most of the honeysuckles will work fine - they are not invasive in our
climate

Uhh, sorry to contradict, but Japanese Honeysuckle *is*
invasive! If you want honeysuckle, stick with the native varieties
(check Wayside Gardens - they carry yellow and red varieties). They
bloom well and the hummingbirds love them.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Pam - gardengal

wrote:

Most of the honeysuckles will work fine - they are not invasive in our
climate

Uhh, sorry to contradict, but Japanese Honeysuckle *is*
invasive! If you want honeysuckle, stick with the native varieties
(check Wayside Gardens - they carry yellow and red varieties). They
bloom well and the hummingbirds love them.

Fran, if you read my post closely, I said they are not invasive in OUR
climate, meaning the PNW, where both the OP and I reside. We have lots of
other invasive plants to contend with but honeysuckle is not one of them.

It is all very well and good and really quite noble to jump on the invasive
plant bandwagon, but most folks do it without a complete understanding of
what invasives are and how they may differ significantly from region to
region. And in my position as a professional horticulturist certified by the
state of Washington, I would never suggest or recommend growing a known
invasive species.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Don W

Thank you so much for your help Pam. I notice that you are in the
Northwest and so are we. We are in Vancouver Wash and just sitting here
waiting for the mountain to blow again.

Anyways....

My wife loves the Star Jasmine but this is an area with sun and Wayside
seems to say that Star Jasmine does better in Part Shade and shade. Are
you saying in your msg that Star Jasmine works ok in the PNW in the sun?

We looked at the vines on Wayside and her is what we like so far

1. Honeysuckle John Clayton (Lonicera sempervirens)
2. Magnolia Vine Eastern Prince (Schisandra chinensis Eastern Prince)
3. Clematis The President

Old 03-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Pam - gardengal

Don, forget about Wayside. They are overpriced for the product they offer
and their information is unreliable. Our climate here is a little unique -
more like the UK and less like anywhere else in the states. You live in an
area with scores of excellent nurseries just a short drive away and I'd
encourage you to visit a few of them and see what they have to recommend. In
the PNW star jasmine NEEDS full sun and preferably a somewhat sheltered
location. Schizandra, OTOH, would prefer part shade. The honeysuckle is
fine, but in my experience, 'sempervirens' is not entirely evergreen here -
a typical winter will result in considerable but not complete defoliation.

Yep, I'm not too far up the road and so is Travis. I was here when the
mountain blew the first time. Although interesting, this is pretty much a
non-event compared to that blast :-)

FWIW, my favorite of the honeysuckles is Lonicera periclymenum 'Serotina'.
Dark pink buds open to bicolor creamy yellow and pink flowers. Very fragrant
and a very long bloomer. My hummers love it. And with due credit to Paghat,
our other local resident poster, here's a photo and some info:
http://www.paghat.com/honeysuckleserotina.html

You might like to check out the rest of her website. She has done an
excellent job with it and showcases a great number of plants that are
particularly well-suited to our climate and conditions.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-10-2004, 03:17 PM
StanB

"Travis" wrote in message

If you have room for a tree the Hummers love my Embothrium coccineum aka
Chilean Fire Tree.

http://www.heronswood.com/catalog/01160?FNc8dpaA;;27

Interesting tree but here we hit zero every couple of years. Thanks for the
suggestion.