Old 03-10-2004, 03:41 PM

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
Iris, until you get your keyboard cleaned or repaired, you can make a t by
holding down the alt key, and entering 116, and a T with alt and 084.

I must admit this is one trick where the PC scores over the Mac. You can't do
it on a Mac. The Mac does have a utility called Key Caps, & I could get a t
there if I had to. However, the lost key is on our old laptop, which I rarely
use. If I find a pot of gold, I will get a newer laptop. I don't know if this
one can be fixed easily.

The most common cause of this symptom is a speck of dirt in the contact
under the key. Try turning the keyboard upside down and shaking it,
blowing into it in the area of the defective key, or using a vacuum
cleaner on it. Technicians use a can of compressed air for the purpose.

If you shake it over a clean, light colored surface, you may be amused
or appalled at the amount of dandruff, cookie crumbs and beard hairs
that shake out. Or as we used to say around the lab, we *hope* those
are beard hairs!