Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
shazzbat

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:07:22 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:40:06 +0200, The Hoopeses
wrote:

Martin wrote:
The Keukenhof in Holland has just started to plant 7 million

bulbs for
next spring.

There are 35 people employed to plant the bulbs.

So *each* has to plant around 230,000 bulbs within a few weeks.

I was hoping you would work out the number per minute based on a 37
hour working week and two days off for Xmas :-)

Some
speed!

and all done on their hands and knees with a simple bulb planting tool
and probably for the minimum legal salary, or less if the workers are
from eastern Europe.
--
Martin

I was there a few years ago, and we saw someone pulling out bulbs which were
only slightly past their best, and replacing them with bulbs just on the
point of opening. What did surprise me was that the bulbs were planted in
their pots, this makes it easier to substitute them and keep the display
fresh. Incidentally I tried to ask the geezer a couple of questions, but he
appeared to be the only dutchman in holland who didn't speak English!

Oh, and I can well recommend the place, an excellent one to visit.

Steve