Old 03-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Therasa

Read the original post.

"N. Woolley" wrote in message
I really mis-spoke by listing Nandina. It is, of course, an exotic invasive
that should NOT be planted. Same goes for Photinia.

I was thinking a mixture of plants, so a slow grower like Tx Mtn Laurel
might be OK with faster growing shrubs. It's evergreen, it's native,
butterflies love it, it has beautiful & fragrant blooms in early spring. I
just can't leave it off.

Fall native plant sale is Oct 9 & 10 (Oct 8 for members) at the LBJ
Wildflower Center. (I'm going to be out of town - drat!)

-Nancy

Andyd wrote:
A couple of notes/questions...

Nandina- I didn't think it was native. Is it?? It is also invasive,
native or not. I also don't think it gets nearly big enough to be a
privacy hedge, although I am not sure on this, I rip it out whenever I
see it around my yard.

Mountain Laurel- The original post said quick grower. Although
Mountain Laurel would be a wonderful privacy hedge, it is only a fast
grower on a geologic time scale. Well not quite, but you aren't
getting 15 feet for many, many, many years.

Cherry Laurel- Not a bad choice, but it gets very big, more tree-like
than privacy hedge-like. Fast grower though.

Of course there is always the dreaded Photinea (or however the heck
you spell it) which gets really big and is commonly used for privacy
hedges. Can't stand the stuff personally. Also Oleander, I've seen
that used for privacy hedges, although I am not big on that either.

andyd

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:05:01 GMT, "N. Woolley"
wrote:

NOoooooooo!!!!! That's an invasive non-native plant!

How about Cherry Laurel, Nandina, Texas Mountain Laurel, Wafer Ash,
Evergreen Sumac or other native plant? Check with the Lady Bird Johnson
Wildflower Center - they have lots of reference materials to help you
decide. And they have some really nice plantings you can walk through and
see if there are any native shrubs you like. How about a mixture of
plants instead of a solid wall of one thing?

-Nancy

Therasa wrote:

Japanese Ligustrum.

"bdaniels1" wrote in message
news:5ef97c8ace52d8e986a83660319775cd@localhos t.talkaboutgardening.com...

I need to plant a TALL privacy hedge against my back fence (about 200
feet
long). I need something that is low maintenance, will grow quickly and
is
reasonably priced. Any ideas? I've heard about Green Giant Arborvitae
would they work here?

Thank you!