Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Roy

Default Just how much aeration do I need

Been experimenting with agitaing the surface of my 1 acre natural
pond to break up surface film and debri. I have been using a 185 GPM
gas powered pump, and have to say that after 2 full days of continous
use the pond looks great........Since I am not really turing over any
water just basically moving the surface water around, do you think I
oculd get by on a smaller floating fountain tyupe deal. I have plans
in th works for a home brew, but buying and running a pump that equals
the output of my gas pump would be cost prohibitive, so what I am
looking at is usuing a submersible type pump of perhaps 60 to 70 GPH
and powering a floating type fountain to provide surface agitation
24/7.........MOst of the residential and small pond and lake up to 1
acre in size floating fountains I haveseen on th internet gave a 60
GPH flow rate.

Do these typical floating fountains do much in the line of breaking up
surface water film and aeration of a pond or am I trying to do a multi
dollar task on a shoestring budget?
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.