Old 03-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Roy

Default Just how much aeration do I need

Been experimenting with agitaing the surface of my 1 acre natural
pond to break up surface film and debri. I have been using a 185 GPM
gas powered pump, and have to say that after 2 full days of continous
use the pond looks great........Since I am not really turing over any
water just basically moving the surface water around, do you think I
oculd get by on a smaller floating fountain tyupe deal. I have plans
in th works for a home brew, but buying and running a pump that equals
the output of my gas pump would be cost prohibitive, so what I am
looking at is usuing a submersible type pump of perhaps 60 to 70 GPH
and powering a floating type fountain to provide surface agitation
24/7.........MOst of the residential and small pond and lake up to 1
acre in size floating fountains I haveseen on th internet gave a 60
GPH flow rate.

Do these typical floating fountains do much in the line of breaking up
surface water film and aeration of a pond or am I trying to do a multi
dollar task on a shoestring budget?
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:49 AM
Roy

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 11:39:07 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:

===~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
===
=== On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:30:17 GMT, (Roy) wrote:
===
===Been experimenting with agitaing the surface of my 1 acre natural
===pond to break up surface film and debri. I have been using a 185 GPM
===gas powered pump, and have to say that after 2 full days of continous
===use the pond looks great........ snip
===.........MOst of the residential and small pond and lake up to 1
===acre in size floating fountains I haveseen on th internet gave a 60
===GPH flow rate.
===
=== 60 gpH? I have a 35 gallon pond with a 60 gph pump, can't imagine it
=== hardly making a ripple in a 1 acre pond. ~ jan
===
===I'm guessing, since the subject is aeration, there's a fair amount of bubble
===action involved, but surely it's gpm (especially since his current setup is
===in gpm).
===
===I'd want to get as much flow as possible, with as much air as possible
===incorporated via some kind of venturi, right at the water surface. I
===_think_ that would work better than a fountain, but then I've never tried
===it :-)

Right, GPM not GPH. The floating fountains equate to approx 60 to 70
GPH or so or they rate them at 4500 to 5200GPH, which is gong to put
you in the same figures as GPH listd above...........Just seems
awfully small but then again I am comparing to a 185 GPM pump pushing
it to 8 feet head above water surface and approx 40 feet or so
horozontal run. I figured it at 185 with friction and head loss, but
it is capable of 290 gpm flat out.

I think I am gonna give the 6x gpm sub type pump a try just like is
use don the Sugar Creek Fountains, and at most all it will have to do
is push 1 or so feet of head to thr nozzle........so flow rate loss
shuld be minimal. I'd like to get the fountain head to just come out
even with the ponds water level or else shoot for as high and wide a
spread and prhaps add a venturi from a hot tube setup in the plumbing,
unless there is another way to infuse air into thr discharge pipe with
a series of Y's and reducers etc...........not really sure if it would
work or knot.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com