Old 04-10-2004, 09:47 AM
Cat

Default Rats in compost.. what can I do?

Gasp!
I was turning my compost bin over the week end, and four rats ran out of
it...
I was warned not to put any cooked or meat based organic stuff in the bin,
and have been careful not to.
The following is what goes in:
Grass clippings (possibly a little too much, as it is a bit wet and yukky at
the moment)
Shredded paper (newspaper and other, but not glossy paper)
Kitchen waste (veg peelings, stale bread, and such)
Shrub/tree clippings
Weeds
Is some of what I am putting in at fault? Is the fact that my compost is
too wet part of the problem? I have added shredded newspaper this w/e to
try and mop up the wet.
Fortunately, my box is at the very end of the garden, and therefore not near
the house - so no danger of rats moving in. Still, I would like to do
something about it, but am a bit at a loss...
I should say that the land beyond our back boundary - against which the
composter backs - is wasteland which may well have its own rat population,
although I am only surmising this.
So not only do I need to get rid of the current inhabitants of my bin but
I'd need to make sure I am not attracting any more.
I did turn the compost reasonably thoroughly this w/e, so that the grassy
goo is more homogeneously spread - perhaps rats are not keen on a gooey
home?
I really do not know what to do... help!

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

--