Old 04-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Fukien tea - Carmona microphylla or Ehretia microphylla

Here on the Florida Space/Hurricane Coast we have noted two or three
different leaf sizes in Fukien Tea, but I don't recall ever seeing a variegated
form.
I think there were a few post on this forum a few days ago discussing
variegation in plants and noting that this meant less chlorophyl for the plant
to use for growth. Whoever it was noted that the green areas had to supply
food for the white or yellow areas. On a small plant with small leaves that
could slow growth
Also in some plants (Poinsettia esp.) variegation is the result of a
virus infection. This might also slow growth.
My personal conclusion, the plant will always grow slowly and may not
survive for long.
Another thought does occur to me. It might not be Fukien Tea at all
but a variegated plant of another species, maybe Ilex, that has similar leaves
and is mislabeled.

In a message dated 10/3/2004 9:35:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

One had regular leaves the other had small compact ones and the third had
variegated leaves. While the first and the second one are growing vigorously,
the variegated one has shown poor growth and despite good care, it has
failed to respond. Can anyone suggest me some solution?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++