Old 04-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Carmona microphyla "Variegated"

Hi Everybody

Few years ago when I started collecting small leaved plants for making Bonsais, I bought three Carmona plants. One had regular leaves the other had small compact ones and the third had variegated leaves. While the first and the second one are growing vigorously, the variegated one has shown poor growth and despite good care, it has failed to respond. Can anyone suggest me some solution? Please?

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Fukien tea - Carmona microphylla or Ehretia microphylla

Here on the Florida Space/Hurricane Coast we have noted two or three
different leaf sizes in Fukien Tea, but I don't recall ever seeing a variegated
form.
I think there were a few post on this forum a few days ago discussing
variegation in plants and noting that this meant less chlorophyl for the plant
to use for growth. Whoever it was noted that the green areas had to supply
food for the white or yellow areas. On a small plant with small leaves that
could slow growth
Also in some plants (Poinsettia esp.) variegation is the result of a
virus infection. This might also slow growth.
My personal conclusion, the plant will always grow slowly and may not
survive for long.
Another thought does occur to me. It might not be Fukien Tea at all
but a variegated plant of another species, maybe Ilex, that has similar leaves
and is mislabeled.

In a message dated 10/3/2004 9:35:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

One had regular leaves the other had small compact ones and the third had
variegated leaves. While the first and the second one are growing vigorously,
the variegated one has shown poor growth and despite good care, it has
failed to respond. Can anyone suggest me some solution?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Oct 2004 at 6:44, Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hi Everybody

Few years ago when I started collecting small leaved plants
for making Bonsais, I bought three Carmona plants. One had
regular leaves the other had small compact ones and the third
had variegated leaves. While the first and the second one
are growing vigorously, the variegated one has shown poor
growth and despite good care, it has failed to respond. Can
anyone suggest me some solution? Please?

Generally speaking plants with variegated leaves are quite a bit
less vigorous growers than their green counterparts. They will
need much more light to thrive -- perhaps because there is less
chlorophyll in their leaves.

If you can get this one into a more brightly lit area than the
others, it MAY help.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Old 04-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Steve wachs

I never saw a variegated Fukien Tea , But from what I have seen of other
trees with variegation, light plays a role in its development. I have Japanese
Maples. Some are variegated. I do not keep variegated maples in the same
areas as other maples, because they seem to have less tolerance of strong
sunlight. I keep them in a shaded area.
I treeat each tree differently I never assume what is good for one tree is
good for another..
I do not know much about the Fukien tea , however it cannot be assumed that
because it's the samee species that it likes the same conditions. I would
move that tree around until I found one that more suitable. Partial sun maybe
more benficial then full sun.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Anil Kaushik

Thank you Billy, Jim and Steve for the information on the above subject. I
do opine(after going through your replies) that the Variegation is the cause
of slow growth of the species. Lesser green surface area produces less food
through Photosynthesis resulting in slow growth.