Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Kristie Kinney said:

hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

I process a lot of squash and pumpkins for use in pies and other baked goods.

Cut the pumpkin into large chunks. DO NOT PEEL.

Steam the chunks until soft or bake in a covered dish with a small amount of
water. (I have a very large steamer, myself.)

Remove the steamed chunks and allow to cool enough to handle.

Scoop out the pumpkin flesh and run it through a food mill (my practice) or
puree in a food processor.

The resulting puree can be frozen for later use. I prefer to put it into quart
freezer bags (with zip closures) and freeze them in flat blocks, about 3 cups
per bag.

(attributed to Don Marti)