Old 03-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Kristie Kinney

Default how t cook pumpkin

hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

kristie

Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Claire Petersky

"Kristie Kinney" wrote in message
hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

Hi Kristie!

You need to buy yourself a good, basic cookbook, like "Betty Crocker's New
Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Cook". Another way to find out this
information is: if you have web access, you could have put "How to cook
pumpkin" in a google search and got a lot of hits. Further, probably a
better place to post would have been in the newsgroup rec.food.cooking, or
rec.food.baking.

Since I'm nice, though, I won't make you repost some place else, buy a book,
or use google.
Here's how to cook pumpkin: you remove the stem and seeds. Then you slice,
peel and then cut the pumpkin into small pieces. Put in a saucepan with a
little water, cover and simmer until it's tender. Drain, let cool, and force
through a strainer, or mash with a potato masher.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:08 PM
My side

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Kristie Kinney" wrote in message
hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

Depending on how much pumpkin you have --- If it is a lot another way that
eliminates the arduous peeling chore is to clean and chop up the pumpkin
into squares (?) and put them into a 275 oven on cookie sheets until the
flesh is soft. Then just scoop the pumpkin meat out of its skin, blend and
away you go.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Kristie Kinney" wrote:

hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

kristie

Peel and steam until soft, then mash.

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Kristie Kinney said:

hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

I process a lot of squash and pumpkins for use in pies and other baked goods.

Cut the pumpkin into large chunks. DO NOT PEEL.

Steam the chunks until soft or bake in a covered dish with a small amount of
water. (I have a very large steamer, myself.)

Remove the steamed chunks and allow to cool enough to handle.

Scoop out the pumpkin flesh and run it through a food mill (my practice) or
puree in a food processor.

The resulting puree can be frozen for later use. I prefer to put it into quart
freezer bags (with zip closures) and freeze them in flat blocks, about 3 cups
per bag.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 09-10-2004, 06:43 PM
EV

Kristie Kinney wrote:

hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

kristie

I'm a little late coming in on this thread and people have already given
you great ways to cook pumpkin, but there's still one more way.

Wash the outside, chop it into pieces as big as your palm, put them on
plate skin side up and microwave on full power till the flesh is soft.
Time depends on the quanitity, how big the pieces are and the power of
your microwave. When done, scoop the flesh out etc.

I use this method for all kinds of hard skinned squash type things.

EV

Old 10-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Charles Newton

"Kristie Kinney" wrote in message
hello

i hope this is ok to post here. i have some pumpkins i need to cook for
cookies but have no idea how to cook them. any advice.

kristie

Depends on the pumpkin. They stir-fry them in Japan and the Philippines
(the small pumkins). I like the small pumpkins. I wrap them in aluminum
foil and bake at 275 - 300 for about an hour. Then, I remove the pumpkin
from the foil, slice it up, remove the seeds, skin it, and place the slices
of baked flesh into a frying pan on simmer with a lid for about 30 minutes
with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. You can't beat that bitch,
guaranteed. Can't beat it. - C.

Old 25-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered User

you abolish the axis and seeds. Again you slice, peel and again cut the attic into baby pieces. Put in a bucket with a little water, awning and simmer until it's tender. Drain, let cool, and force through a strainer, or brew with a potato masher.
Pond Pumps