Old 05-10-2004, 01:58 AM
shawnandcathy

For the seed to germinate properly it requires greater than 50 degrees for
at least a week. Even if it does germinate this late in the year, it's too
late for it to establish a decent root system which is essential when spring
rolls around and you are wondering why your new grass is dying.

"Merle O'Broham" wrote in message
om...
(Chet Hayes) wrote in message

om...
Peter H wrote in message

Merle O'Broham wrote:

Hi all,

I have an older home with several types of grass types growing
together. I don't know what the species of the grasses are, but

there
are at least 4-5 different types growing to make one generally green
happy multicultural lawn (each grass in their own little

neighborhood-
ha). Most of the lawn is in shade throughout the day, except for a

few
patches getting a couple hours of direct sun around mid-day.

I'd like to start core-aerating and seeding annually with the same
type of seed. Any recommendations for seed-type/brand name or other
advice? I'd LOVE to pull it all up and start over, but I've got ~12k
sq. ft. or so. Definitely doing some groundcover in the dry, shady
parts.

Forgot- Chicago, zone 5.

You wouldn't actually need to pull it up of course. Just wack it with
Round-up.

Peter H

Isn't it getting too late to be seeding now in the Chicago area
anyway? I would certainly think it's past optimal for this year now.

Yep, probably past optimal. The dog days are definitely over but it's
just this past week that day temps are dropping to the 50's and 60's.
Throwing some seed down is so cheap that if just a little takes then
it's worth it. Worse comes to worse then the birdies get some free
lunch. ;-)