Old 05-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Peter Jason

Are you referring to a noisy, flighty, chattering, inconsequential.
irrelevant, pestiferous, gaudy, annoying and randy Budgerigar...?
Get serious Cereus, and stick to horticulture.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually learn a
thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

"Phred" wrote in message
In article ,
(Iris Cohen) wrote:
Im a possible botany major, and was wondering if anyone knew of good
websites out there, that can provide info/pictures of trees and shrubs.

Are you for real or a troll? We have a curmudgeon in this group who is

going to
blast you for that question.

Hey, Iris! I hope you're not referring to Celluloid! (Actually, I
saw Toy Boy's response earlier, and he gave an interesting link that
I wasn't aware of, to an enormous compendium of websites -- albeit
still rather "unedited". But thanks anyway, mate. :-)

If you are serious and a college student, you need to learn how to use

your
seach engine. I suggest you start by searching on the name of a

specific
tree,

True, to a point. But the poor bugger may not yet know about Latin
binomials. [An aside -- I heard the other day that some bloke is
proposing some new taxonomic system that isn't quite so much at the
whim of professionals when it comes to name changes. But the mate
who mentioned it couldn't recall the reference. :-( ]

Frankly, I see nothing at all wrong with approaching a group of
self-declared "experts" in a newsgroup called sci.bio.botany and
asking for opinions about "good websites" as the OP wanted. What's
wrong with that? Why should *everyone* wade through all the crap out
there when there are people who do that sort of thing for a living and
can point you in the right direction?

If I'm crook, I don't go to the Internet, or even the local library,
looking for solutions at random. I go to the local quack for advice
and treatment by one who knows. (At least that's the theory.

say Cornus florida. You will find any number of sites with pictures and
information. Bookmark the best ones and use them to find information on

other
trees. Eventually you will find the most useful sites. Some I would

suggest are
USDA, the National Forest Service, the US National Arboretum, and the
University of Connecticut. The RHS is also a valuable resource.

Typical yank. What about the rest of the world? Oh, I see you did
mention the Royal Horticultural Society. Must be that "special
relationship" thing. ;-)

ObBotSites:
Oz stuff:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/herbarium/
More Oz stuff: http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/
Water weeds: http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/mcplnt1c.html (yankee :-)
Botanical Latin: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pbostock/
Kew: http://www.kew.org.uk/data/vascplnt.html
Poisonous plants: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
Grasses: http://biodiversity.bio.uno.edu/delt.../www/ident.htm
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (St Louis):
http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.
de/iapt/nomenclature/code/SaintLouis/0001ICSLContents.htm
[The above URL obviously needs to be on one line.]
Indigenous knowledge:
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/scihort/eblinks/ipr.html
Missouri Bot. Garden: http://www.mobot.org/
[Regarded as somewhat better than Kew in some respects now. :-( ]
Plants USA: http://plants.usda.gov/
Phytochemistry and Ethnobotany: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/

Bugger it! That's enough. I'm getting carried away!
(And astute observers will note an anglophile bias here; not unlike
Iris's failing. Sorry world, but most Aussies are unilingual. Sad.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID