Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Dr. Ellis D

Default Botany Sites

Hi, Im a possible botany major, and was wondering if anyone knew of
good websites out there, that can provide info/pictures of trees and
shrubs. Thanks Alot!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Cereus-validus

Did you do a google search, Mac Dweeb?

You can also look here, you lazy yo.

http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/i...ha/botany.html

om...

Old 04-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Iris Cohen

Im a possible botany major, and was wondering if anyone knew of good
websites out there, that can provide info/pictures of trees and shrubs.
BRBR

Are you for real or a troll? We have a curmudgeon in this group who is going to
blast you for that question.
If you are serious and a college student, you need to learn how to use your
seach engine. I suggest you start by searching on the name of a specific tree,
say Cornus florida. You will find any number of sites with pictures and
information. Bookmark the best ones and use them to find information on other
trees. Eventually you will find the most useful sites. Some I would suggest are
USDA, the National Forest Service, the US National Arboretum, and the
University of Connecticut. The RHS is also a valuable resource.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 04-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Phred

In article ,
(Iris Cohen) wrote:
Im a possible botany major, and was wondering if anyone knew of good
websites out there, that can provide info/pictures of trees and shrubs.

Are you for real or a troll? We have a curmudgeon in this group who is going to
blast you for that question.

Hey, Iris! I hope you're not referring to Celluloid! (Actually, I
saw Toy Boy's response earlier, and he gave an interesting link that
I wasn't aware of, to an enormous compendium of websites -- albeit
still rather "unedited". But thanks anyway, mate. :-)

If you are serious and a college student, you need to learn how to use your
seach engine. I suggest you start by searching on the name of a specific tree,

True, to a point. But the poor bugger may not yet know about Latin
binomials. [An aside -- I heard the other day that some bloke is
proposing some new taxonomic system that isn't quite so much at the
whim of professionals when it comes to name changes. But the mate
who mentioned it couldn't recall the reference. :-( ]

Frankly, I see nothing at all wrong with approaching a group of
self-declared "experts" in a newsgroup called sci.bio.botany and
asking for opinions about "good websites" as the OP wanted. What's
wrong with that? Why should *everyone* wade through all the crap out
there when there are people who do that sort of thing for a living and
can point you in the right direction?

If I'm crook, I don't go to the Internet, or even the local library,
looking for solutions at random. I go to the local quack for advice
and treatment by one who knows. (At least that's the theory.

say Cornus florida. You will find any number of sites with pictures and
information. Bookmark the best ones and use them to find information on other
trees. Eventually you will find the most useful sites. Some I would suggest are
USDA, the National Forest Service, the US National Arboretum, and the
University of Connecticut. The RHS is also a valuable resource.

Typical yank. What about the rest of the world? Oh, I see you did
mention the Royal Horticultural Society. Must be that "special
relationship" thing. ;-)

ObBotSites:
Oz stuff:
http://www.anbg.gov.au/cpbr/herbarium/
More Oz stuff: http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/
Water weeds: http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/mcplnt1c.html (yankee :-)
Botanical Latin: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pbostock/
Kew: http://www.kew.org.uk/data/vascplnt.html
Poisonous plants: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/index.html
Grasses: http://biodiversity.bio.uno.edu/delt.../www/ident.htm
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature (St Louis):
http://www.bgbm.fu-berlin.
de/iapt/nomenclature/code/SaintLouis/0001ICSLContents.htm
[The above URL obviously needs to be on one line.]
Indigenous knowledge:
http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/scihort/eblinks/ipr.html
Missouri Bot. Garden: http://www.mobot.org/
[Regarded as somewhat better than Kew in some respects now. :-( ]
Plants USA: http://plants.usda.gov/
Phytochemistry and Ethnobotany: http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/

Bugger it! That's enough. I'm getting carried away!
(And astute observers will note an anglophile bias here; not unlike
Iris's failing. Sorry world, but most Aussies are unilingual. Sad.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Cereus-validus

Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually learn a
thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

Old 05-10-2004, 02:28 AM
Peter Jason

Are you referring to a noisy, flighty, chattering, inconsequential.
irrelevant, pestiferous, gaudy, annoying and randy Budgerigar...?
Get serious Cereus, and stick to horticulture.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually learn a
thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

Old 05-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Cereus-validus

Jealous, you wallaby ponce?

Why don't you go back to your gay porn and stop being such a demented troll,
Peter Puller?

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Are you referring to a noisy, flighty, chattering, inconsequential.
irrelevant, pestiferous, gaudy, annoying and randy Budgerigar...?
Get serious Cereus, and stick to horticulture.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually learn

thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

Old 05-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Peter Jason

Tut tut!!
Such language!
If I were a psychoanalyst I could find much that was telling in your
scatological little-boy posts.
Bad Cereus!

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Jealous, you wallaby ponce?

Why don't you go back to your gay porn and stop being such a demented

troll,
Peter Puller?

"Peter Jason" wrote in message
Are you referring to a noisy, flighty, chattering, inconsequential.
irrelevant, pestiferous, gaudy, annoying and randy Budgerigar...?
Get serious Cereus, and stick to horticulture.

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually

learn
thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

Old 05-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Phred

In article ,
"Cereus-validus" wrote:
Right back at ya, Kangaroo boy.

Despite your best efforts to the contrary, you can still actually learn a
thing or two!!!

How about looking up a Parakeelya for me?

No problem Celluloid, mate. It's only AUD11.40 for 15 ml, but I guess
you would need 5 or 10 litres to do noticeable good, so it would get a
bit expensive for someone with your problems. But at least it's
available online, so you won't be at risk from drop bears:
http://www.livingessences.com.au/catalog/product_info.
php?products_id=46

For you others out there, interested in botany rather than essences,
you can find a species list of _Parakeelya_ at
http://www.anbg.gov.au/apni/apniP.html

The parent site http://www.anbg.gov.au/apni/ is well worth visiting
if you're interested in the Australian flora. But do be a bit
selective as some of the linked files are rather large (e.g. that list
of P's runs to over 950 KB). If downloads are no problem for you, you
can get the full list of known names as a single 7 MB file. ("Known"
names are not equivalent to "species" -- some 65000 names are known to
have been used at one time or another for an estimated 20000 species.)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Dr. Ellis D

(Iris Cohen) wrote:
Are you for real or a troll? We have a curmudgeon in this group who is

going to blast you for that question.

If you are serious and a college student, you need to learn how to use

your seach engine. I suggest you start by searching on the name of a
specific tree,

Phred schreef
True, to a point. But the poor bugger may not yet know about Latin
binomials.

***
A possible botany major surely has encountered binary names. Likely anybody
has who succesfully finished highschool or its equivalent
***

[An aside -- I heard the other day that some bloke is proposing some new

taxonomic system that isn't quite so much at the whim of professionals when
it comes to name changes. But the mate who mentioned it couldn't recall the
reference. :-( ]

***
This would not be the PhyloCode, an attempt at a nomenclatural system?
***

Frankly, I see nothing at all wrong with approaching a group of

self-declared "experts" in a newsgroup called sci.bio.botany and
asking for opinions about "good websites" as the OP wanted. What's
wrong with that? Why should *everyone* wade through all the crap out
there when there are people who do that sort of thing for a living and
can point you in the right direction?

If I'm crook, I don't go to the Internet, or even the local library,

looking for solutions at random. I go to the local quack for advice
and treatment by one who knows. (At least that's the theory.

***
The local quack would think poorly of anybody who kept bothering him for
bits of knowledge on medicine so as to become a doctor (unless that somebody
is very cute looking).
PvR

yeah, i didnt want to wade though crap, and didnt want google to be
the first place i looked, any blote can google the binomial, but i
thought there may be some kick ass botany sites out there, thanks.