Old 05-10-2004, 10:21 PM
John Savage

Trish Brown writes:
My DH has been given three large drums of engine oil (!)

Can anyone advise whether it's perfectly safe to store such a substance
near residences for a long period? Obviously we won't be using it all up

^^^^

Near? Umm, what would that be in metres? :-)

There are a few simple precautions you can take if you are storing these
drums outside in the open. Stand the drums on brick or concrete, not
timber, so the bases are off the ground and won't rust. Clear grass from
around the drums and replace it by sand or gravel so a small grass fire
won't get to the drums, and if it does then the bricks won't catch alight
like timber would. Keep the drums tightly capped to keep humidity out or
you'll get condensate at the bottom of the oil. As you use up some oil
the air space in the drums might cause a daily "bang" as it expands and
contracts with temperature if the drums are stored in the sunshine (and
sometimes even if they aren't), so residents might need to be made aware
of this lest they be disconcerted by the loud reports.

As others have pointed out, your insurance policy could be void if you
store any quantity of flammable substance nearby.