Old 02-10-2004, 08:39 AM
blank

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
My DH has been given three large drums of engine oil (!)

Can anyone advise whether it's perfectly safe to store such a substance
near residences for a long period? Obviously we won't be using it all up
in a hurry and I'm worried about it sparking or vapourising or doing
whatever it is engine oil might do.

TIA,
--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Could be risky--what's your address so I can come and pick it up and store
it at my place

Old 02-10-2004, 09:32 AM
Trish Brown

blank wrote:
"Trish Brown" wrote in message

My DH has been given three large drums of engine oil (!)

Can anyone advise whether it's perfectly safe to store such a substance
near residences for a long period? Obviously we won't be using it all up
in a hurry and I'm worried about it sparking or vapourising or doing
whatever it is engine oil might do.

TIA,
--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Could be risky--what's your address so I can come and pick it up and store
it at my place

Pppppbbbbbllllfftt! Nice try! ;-p~~~~~~~~~

What *is* it about boys and their oil, eh?

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 02-10-2004, 09:34 AM
len gardener

g'day trish,

the mind boggles a little as to why the need for that much engine oil?
but all that aside i would suggest in a well ventilated garden shed
well away from any of yours or neighbours structures, i think you may
find that in your insurance policy you are limmited to how much
volatile material you may store. let alone local by-laws covering such
material, but do some checking and keep us informed. all that aside i
would guess that old engine oil may need quiet a bit of ignition to
get it going.

as an aside now that you have it if you ever decide to dispose of it
there are strict controls as there are with tyres & batteries etc.,.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:05 PM
SG1

It sits there in the drum waiting to be used. The volatile substances are
petrol deisel kero etc. It is safe as long as the drums do not start rusting
from the outside. Keep out of weather.
Jim

Old 05-10-2004, 10:21 PM
John Savage

Trish Brown writes:
My DH has been given three large drums of engine oil (!)

Can anyone advise whether it's perfectly safe to store such a substance
near residences for a long period? Obviously we won't be using it all up

^^^^

Near? Umm, what would that be in metres? :-)

There are a few simple precautions you can take if you are storing these
drums outside in the open. Stand the drums on brick or concrete, not
timber, so the bases are off the ground and won't rust. Clear grass from
around the drums and replace it by sand or gravel so a small grass fire
won't get to the drums, and if it does then the bricks won't catch alight
like timber would. Keep the drums tightly capped to keep humidity out or
you'll get condensate at the bottom of the oil. As you use up some oil
the air space in the drums might cause a daily "bang" as it expands and
contracts with temperature if the drums are stored in the sunshine (and
sometimes even if they aren't), so residents might need to be made aware
of this lest they be disconcerted by the loud reports.

As others have pointed out, your insurance policy could be void if you
store any quantity of flammable substance nearby.