Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Doug Kanter

You'll need something like this, but smaller:
http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...&RecGroupNum=1

Contact that company and find out what they have in a smaller size. I don't
know how much room that thing needs for movement, but I suspect it's too big
for a cold frame. What you're looking for DOES exist, though. You might also
check www.burpee.com.

Congratulations on the cold frame. It's a great thing to have. In Spring,
after the weather's warmed up, you can continue growing small stuff in it,
and cover the box with a framed piece of mesh to protect the crops from
digging animals or clumsy humans. I use mine for low-growing salad greens.

Also, pay no attention to advice about starting seeds in late fall. You
never know when you you'll have an extra month without frost that's too much
for the frame to protect against. A few years back, I planted lettuce in
late October and had fresh salads up until Christmas (upstate NY, zone 5).
If it doesn't work, you've risked what....three bucks worth of seeds, if
that much?

"Gary and Karen Manning" wrote in message
I am considering building a cold frame. My question is: how do I keep the
plants from cooking on worm sunny days? I don't want to stay home because
the sun may come out.

Thanks

Gary