Old 05-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Gary and Karen Manning

Default cold frame ?

I am considering building a cold frame. My question is: how do I keep the
plants from cooking on worm sunny days? I don't want to stay home because
the sun may come out.

Thanks

Gary

Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Doug Kanter

You'll need something like this, but smaller:
http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/se...&RecGroupNum=1

Contact that company and find out what they have in a smaller size. I don't
know how much room that thing needs for movement, but I suspect it's too big
for a cold frame. What you're looking for DOES exist, though. You might also
check www.burpee.com.

Congratulations on the cold frame. It's a great thing to have. In Spring,
after the weather's warmed up, you can continue growing small stuff in it,
and cover the box with a framed piece of mesh to protect the crops from
digging animals or clumsy humans. I use mine for low-growing salad greens.

Also, pay no attention to advice about starting seeds in late fall. You
never know when you you'll have an extra month without frost that's too much
for the frame to protect against. A few years back, I planted lettuce in
late October and had fresh salads up until Christmas (upstate NY, zone 5).
If it doesn't work, you've risked what....three bucks worth of seeds, if
that much?

Old 05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Doug Kanter

It's a cold frame, not a shopping cart. No wheels. The right place for
February through April (when it's likely to be needed most) is probably
where it's going to stay for the whole season. Early in the season, it could
be below freezing when he leaves for work, and over 90 degrees by mid
morning, even if it's only in the 30s outside the frame. He's looking for an
automatic solution, my dear.

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Gary and Karen Manning" contains these

words:

I am considering building a cold frame. My question is: how do I keep

the
plants from cooking on worm sunny days? I don't want to stay home

because
the sun may come out.

Don't stand it in the sun, at least, not in summer. Also, prop the
roof open, or take it off and put a shade net over instead.

Janet

Old 06-10-2004, 06:17 AM
sherwindu

I purchased a cold frame from mail order a few years back. It was made in
Germany, I believe, of a corregated plastic material. One nice accessory they
sold
was a thermal controlled lifter, that would open the top door of the frame
automatically, depending on the outside temperature. I have used it for
years, and it
works for me. There are probably many variations of this product, if you just
scan the catalogs and internet.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 06-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

[...]

Doug sweetie, there's no need to get on top of me to reply.

I have three coldframes, and none of them has wheels, but moving them
is easy. In summer, I position them out of direct/mid-day sun and use
them for rooting summer cuttings. Two weeks ago, I moved the frames to
their winter position where they'll catch any winter sun that appears,
but are out of the wind. The propagated plants in pots will stay safely
protected from winter cold and gales (we don't get heavy freezes here)
without getting drawn and leggy. In spring, the cold frames will be in
good light for sowing spring seedlings.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).

First of all, you're a funny lady. :-)

Now, darling, my apologies for being severe. My cold frame was patterned
after the picnic tables we find in New York State parks. They're made with
the assumption that a family of large bears will try and steal them in the
dead of night. (Actually, teenagers try that stunt). Anyway...mine is as
easily moved as a well made sofa.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Now, darling, my apologies for being severe. My cold frame was patterned
after the picnic tables we find in New York State parks. They're made

with
the assumption that a family of large bears will try and steal them in

the
dead of night. (Actually, teenagers try that stunt). Anyway...mine is as
easily moved as a well made sofa.

You need to eat some porridge, pet. I moved a well-made sofa very

recently.

Janet.

Janet, my little love monkey, was your sofa anchored to the ground with 4x4
inch posts driven 2 feet deep? Hmmmmm????

If this continues, I may have to hop on a jet and hoist a few with you! :-)

Old 07-10-2004, 10:13 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

Pumpkin, I am not accountable for furniture fashion in the colonies.It
was not I who claimed a resemblance between your sofa and your
coldframe.

If this continues, I may have to hop on a jet and hoist a few with you!

:-)

The only thing men hoist over here is sails and breeches. I hope you
don't get seasick.

Janet.

Seasick....no. I like rhythm, my little squash blossom!

Old 08-10-2004, 07:15 AM
Twobtold

From: "Doug Kanter"
From: "Janet Baraclough.."

I think John should keep an eye on Janet and Doug.
Get down there and lock that Garden Gate!

Old 08-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Doug Kanter

Cupcake....where are you? I've been waiting all day, and not a word from
you! :-) :-) I'm going to start hitting the Lagavulin soon if this
continues.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:58 AM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Cupcake....where are you? I've been waiting all day, and not a word from
you! :-) :-) I'm going to start hitting the Lagavulin soon if this
continues.

Mr Kanter, have you forgotten that I'm a teetotal pacifist?

Mrs Baraclough.

I'm not aware of having been informed of that, madam.

Old 11-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in

message
The message
from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Cupcake....where are you? I've been waiting all day, and not a word

from
you! :-) :-) I'm going to start hitting the Lagavulin soon if this
continues.

Mr Kanter, have you forgotten that I'm a teetotal pacifist?

Mrs Baraclough.

I'm not aware of having been informed of that, madam.

One had hoped you were more intuitive and considerate, sir.

Janet.

My method of dealing with your absence in no way suggests it would also be
YOUR way, señorita. :-)