Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Terry Collins

John Savage wrote:

Terry Collins writes:
I would prefer to stick with a fly trap with attractant aimed at fruit fly.

With odours, sometimes the weirdest things turn up results. Last week a
zoo was describing how a particular brand of commercial perfume dabbed on
a rock or tree sends their leopards into a swoon.

You would need to find out exactly what is inside that perfume. Some
perfumes are still produced from animal secretions.

....snip......

Nothing wrong with using BOTH attractants and repellants. Did you hear
Don Burke say that a common mistake is to hang fruit fly traps in the
branches of the tree you're wanting to protect? He says the traps should
be placed at a distance away from the tree for best results.

ROFL. Unfortunately this wasn't on the website as I would like to find
some "scientific data to back this up". It sounds like common sense, but
actually has a fallacy. I tend to think more of the Dak Pot model whose
role wasn't to actually trap the fruit fly, but kill off the males.

Fruit flies are attracted to the fruit trees, where the males then look
for the females but are usually attracted to the Dak Pots as the
strongest smelling female.