Old 29-09-2004, 08:07 PM
len gardener

Default fruit fly deterent - idea

just got this hint from another forum, i have it posted on my remedies
page and by the sounds of it i'm going to have to start using it
myself real soon.

basically you need a bottle or jar (plasic) with a lid, they say use a
pint container so any of the 6 or 700 mm soft drink bottles (can't see
why smaller drink containers would work) would do drill a hole near
the top of the bottle, the hole is for a hemp rope or similar material
wick that should go right to the bottom of the bottle and hang out
through the hole drilled to suit the rope/wick size. then all but fill
the bottle with diesel fuel and hang the devices around your garden.

let us know how it works.

len
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Bushy

Just the thing to attract the neighbourhood kids and lighters!

I think I'll stick with the fruit flys ;)

Hope this helps,
Peter

"len gardener" wrote in message
just got this hint from another forum, i have it posted on my remedies
page and by the sounds of it i'm going to have to start using it
myself real soon.

basically you need a bottle or jar (plasic) with a lid, they say use a
pint container so any of the 6 or 700 mm soft drink bottles (can't see
why smaller drink containers would work) would do drill a hole near
the top of the bottle, the hole is for a hemp rope or similar material
wick that should go right to the bottom of the bottle and hang out
through the hole drilled to suit the rope/wick size. then all but fill
the bottle with diesel fuel and hang the devices around your garden.

let us know how it works.

len
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 02-10-2004, 12:24 AM
BCL

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:07:14 +1000, len gardener
wrote:

basically you need a bottle or jar (plasic) with a lid, they say use a
pint container so any of the 6 or 700 mm soft drink bottles (can't see
why smaller drink containers would work) would do drill a hole near
the top of the bottle, the hole is for a hemp rope or similar material
wick that should go right to the bottom of the bottle and hang out
through the hole drilled to suit the rope/wick size. then all but fill
the bottle with diesel fuel and hang the devices around your garden.

Nothing like the sweet aroma of diesel about the garden eh? certainly
makes a change from all that girlie flower blossom stuff.

I think I might give that one a miss.

Regards
Bruce
Old 02-10-2004, 01:00 AM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
just got this hint from another forum, i have it posted on my remedies
page and by the sounds of it i'm going to have to start using it
myself real soon.

basically you need a bottle or jar (plasic) with a lid, they say use a
pint container so any of the 6 or 700 mm soft drink bottles (can't see
why smaller drink containers would work) would do drill a hole near
the top of the bottle, the hole is for a hemp rope or similar material
wick that should go right to the bottom of the bottle and hang out
through the hole drilled to suit the rope/wick size. then all but fill
the bottle with diesel fuel and hang the devices around your garden.

let us know how it works.

Another illuminating idea you have here Len! Tell me, at what time of
the day do we light the wick?

Old 02-10-2004, 03:23 AM
Terry Collins

len gardener wrote:

....snip.....

. then all but fill
the bottle with diesel fuel and hang the devices around your garden.

This sounds like the results of chinese whispers.
Sure that it isn't what should go into a fly trap?

I would prefer to stick with a fly trap with attractant aimed at fruit
fly.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:47 AM
len gardener

g'day gosh,

as i haven't tried it as yet i can't comment on how much diesel aroma
one gets, but then i'm only the messenger. could imagine spraying man
made chemicals being far more damaging to the environment.

len

snipped

Old 02-10-2004, 08:48 AM
len gardener

yes john,

i can see it now all those fruit trees looking like roman candles lol

len

snipped

Old 02-10-2004, 08:50 AM
len gardener

yep terry,

the final option is you'rs to decide, i'm only delivering the idea.

len

snipped

Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
the final option is you'rs to decide, i'm only delivering the idea.

Len, I hope you take the sudden barrage of flak with the good humour
in which it is meant. It was just too good a line to resist some
sort of riposte! The idea of repelling fruit flies with diesel odour
sounds as good as many other home remedies that come up. I don't want
you to feel discouraged from posting any of your helpful hints. Not
every low-tech solution will work for everyone in all situations, anyway.

But now you know how a duck feels at the start of the shooting season!

Speaking of ducks, you know the Internet Folklore that a duck's quack
doesn't echo? Well, during my recent holidays I proved it to be FALSE.
One evening I was standing halfway between a large flat-walled shed and
a farm dam, and listening to ducks calling from the dam. Every time a duck
on the dam quacked there was an echoing quack from the wall of the shed.
That revelation made my dusk. ;-)

Thanks for asking about ducks, I thought no one ever would!

Old 05-10-2004, 10:23 PM
John Savage

Terry Collins writes:
I would prefer to stick with a fly trap with attractant aimed at fruit fly.

With odours, sometimes the weirdest things turn up results. Last week a
zoo was describing how a particular brand of commercial perfume dabbed on
a rock or tree sends their leopards into a swoon. And on the weekend tv an
expert dingo trapper said that he places his traps around a station's
stands of fuel drums because wild dogs seem to have a strange attraction
to the smell of diesel. I think that was on Landline.

Nothing wrong with using BOTH attractants and repellants. Did you hear
Don Burke say that a common mistake is to hang fruit fly traps in the
branches of the tree you're wanting to protect? He says the traps should
be placed at a distance away from the tree for best results.

Old 06-10-2004, 02:18 AM
len gardener

thanks john chuckle,

i wasn't taking it too seriously and yes not all low tech' stuff works
for one and all, but when i find them i pass them around. but
apparently the folk who use it swear by it they say they have never
had a fruit fly in thier garden dunno? i'm gunna give it a go
anyway's.

yeh i been meaning to ask you about that duck ecko thing so thanks for
broaching the subject lol

len enjoying life and gardening and all i meet online.

snipped

Old 06-10-2004, 02:21 AM
len gardener

good one john,

so i may get rid of fruit flies and find i have a dingo family move in
instead huh lol???

yeh lots put their traps in the fruit trees they are trying to
protect, neve knew burk'y had it in him to get one right now huh
chuckle?

i didn't ask the original informant but i would guess the f/f
repellant pots should be hung in the trees that need protecting
mmmm???

len

snipped

Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Terry Collins

John Savage wrote:

Terry Collins writes:
I would prefer to stick with a fly trap with attractant aimed at fruit fly.

With odours, sometimes the weirdest things turn up results. Last week a
zoo was describing how a particular brand of commercial perfume dabbed on
a rock or tree sends their leopards into a swoon.

You would need to find out exactly what is inside that perfume. Some
perfumes are still produced from animal secretions.

....snip......

Nothing wrong with using BOTH attractants and repellants. Did you hear
Don Burke say that a common mistake is to hang fruit fly traps in the
branches of the tree you're wanting to protect? He says the traps should
be placed at a distance away from the tree for best results.

ROFL. Unfortunately this wasn't on the website as I would like to find
some "scientific data to back this up". It sounds like common sense, but
actually has a fallacy. I tend to think more of the Dak Pot model whose
role wasn't to actually trap the fruit fly, but kill off the males.

Fruit flies are attracted to the fruit trees, where the males then look
for the females but are usually attracted to the Dak Pots as the
strongest smelling female.
Old 13-10-2004, 09:29 PM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
so i may get rid of fruit flies and find i have a dingo family move in
instead huh lol???

Think this through fully, Len. The diesel deters fruit flies but
attracts feral dogs and pyromanics. The dogs deter the pyromanics,
but attract blowflies. And where there are flies, they'll attract
frogs and lizards. But as you know, frogs always attract snakes.
Now, to escape the dogs, the snakes take to the branches. But snakes
in the branches of a tree are a well-known way to keep thieving birds
away from your fruit. So I think your diesel wicks idea could be sold
to the home gardener as a combination fruit-fly & bird deterrent!!

yeh lots put their traps in the fruit trees they are trying to
protect, neve knew burk'y had it in him to get one right now huh
chuckle?

One year I made a few of the fruit-fly traps using vegemite and ammonia,
and hung them in a couple of plum trees. Whenever I examined the catch,
the fruit-flies were all female. I have wondered whether there would be
a homemade remedy that would catch the males, too. I'm an equal-
opportunity trapper.

Old 14-10-2004, 04:05 AM
len gardener

yeh john,

that was put very eloquently actualy i reckon we could corner the
market with that product, i could never have stretched its uses so
far.

well i am also an equal opportunity trapper so we use the fruit fly
wick that smells like a fem' fruit fly oh heat to the male so he flies
in the bottle and the insecticide zaps him.

now those liguid trap like you used and you can use honey or there is
another recipe on my page using fresh urine which can be replaced by
amonia, so with all traps set the fruit flies should be on the losing
end.

now if only the frogs would come so the snakes would chase those
theiving bloody birds away.

i wonder if burky would promote it for us mmmm????

lol

len

snipped