Old 06-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:08:36 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Saffy" contains these words:
"David Hill" wrote in message

I wonder if anyone else has noticed the number of earwigs around this

year,
I don't think I have ever seen as many before, they are everywhere, even

had
5 in a 3 pin plug in the garage I had to open.

We definitely don't have too many this year - I hate the damn things so have
noticed that we don't have lots.

I love earwigs - not very many insects mother their young. They do
little harm and quite a lot of good.

Once, on the Isle of Lewis, I found a couple of earwigs with *HUGE*
pincers - as long as their abdomens.

I kept them, and when I went down to London I took them to The British
Museum of Natural History.

The Curator of Entomology gave a squeak of delight - that I'd delivered
them alive. She bemoaned the usual practice of receiving specimens,
dedded, and nicely mounted.

What did she do with 'em?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk