Old 06-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Gary Woods

tom hooper wrote:

My garlic chives have put up flowers and not they are turning to seed
heads. How do I harvest them so I can replant?

Depending on climate, the garlic chives should come back anyway... you can
collect the dry seed heads and put in a paper bag; when they're good and
dry, crumble with your hands and you should see a bunch of black seeds in
the bottom, just like onion seeds but smaller.
Pour between a couple of containers on a breezy day, or just mix with water
and float off the chaff, sort of like panning for gold, then spread out in
a big sieve to dry immediately, so they don't think of sprouting. I do
this successfully for leek seeds.