Old 07-10-2004, 12:07 AM
Robert

In message , Janet
Baraclough.. writes
The message
from (Philip) contains these words:

I am fed up with cheap secateurs, mostly because they go out of
alignment and then refuse to cut properly.

I have convinced myself that if I buy an expensive pair of secateurs I
will benefit in two ways. One they will be of better build quality so
will be stronger, and two they will have cost me more so I will be
less inclined to mistreat them.

Can anyone recommend makers of secatuers that will suit my purpose and
if the answer is Felco, then recommend an outlet that is competitve in
its pricing. I live within 10 mins of Wisley and I know its pricing
is NOT competitve.

I've borrowed someone's Felcos and they really are in another class.
There are several different kinds and sizes of Felco secateurs so I'd
suggest you find a shop with a good display to select which model you
prefer..then ISTR that Chris'n'Helen of urg found them at the cheapest
price from the USA (via internet). You'll probably find the posts in
urg's archive at google.

Felco from
http://www.ukoutdoorstore.co.uk/felco.html
I have the model 11 which I find perfectly comfortable even after two or
three hours continuous pruning. If you are thinking of the roller
handle models it is essential that you try them first - particularly if
you have small hands.
--
Robert