Old 05-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Philip

Default Felco Secateurs

I am fed up with cheap secateurs, mostly because they go out of
alignment and then refuse to cut properly.

I have convinced myself that if I buy an expensive pair of secateurs I
will benefit in two ways. One they will be of better build quality so
will be stronger, and two they will have cost me more so I will be
less inclined to mistreat them.

Can anyone recommend makers of secatuers that will suit my purpose and
if the answer is Felco, then recommend an outlet that is competitve in
its pricing. I live within 10 mins of Wisley and I know its pricing
is NOT competitve.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Nick Gray

"Philip" wrote in message
om...
I am fed up with cheap secateurs, mostly because they go out of
alignment and then refuse to cut properly.

I have convinced myself that if I buy an expensive pair of secateurs I
will benefit in two ways. One they will be of better build quality so
will be stronger, and two they will have cost me more so I will be
less inclined to mistreat them.

Can anyone recommend makers of secatuers that will suit my purpose and
if the answer is Felco, then recommend an outlet that is competitve in
its pricing. I live within 10 mins of Wisley and I know its pricing
is NOT competitve.

Thanks

I've got Wilkinson Sword secateurs and had them about 10 years, they are
still going strong. But most of the Pros that I know use Felco. Which
direction are you from Wisley? I know that Longacres in Bagshot have quite a
large range of Felco, and they are pretty competative on most of their
gardening products. Else go and try out the different sizes and then try to
find them online.

FYI Longarces address and tel. no.:
London Road, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5JB
TEL: 01276 476778
FAX: 01276 452779

HTH

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 05-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick Gray" wrote after
"Philip" wrote
[...]

Or look at....
http://www.longacres.co.uk/about.php
Nearly always the cheapest in the area for anything gardening, and with
things like secateurs you do need to handle them beforehand to see if they
are right for you.

I too had a number of pairs of cheaper secateurs until I took the plunge and
bought a pair of Felco's.
They use them at RHS Wisley too and have few problems despite all those
fruit trees that need pruning. An exception last year was one young student
tried to sharpen hers with a file! Oops. New blades needed! Which is another
reason to buy Felco's, you can get spares.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 05-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Bob Hobden

"Martin" wrote after "Bob
wrote:

"Nick Gray" wrote after
"Philip" wrote
[...]

I looked and didn't find secateurs.
--

True, but I was showing the poster the GC suggested had a web site, if you
want to look at secateurs then try these...

http://www.ukoutdoorstore.co.uk/felco.html

http://www.tooled-up.com/MicroCatego...CID=9&MCID=745

http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/sitesearch/s...1415&popups=no

But as I say, you need to feel them to see if they fit your hand and if you
find them comfortable ( e.g. especially if you are thinking of Felco
No.7's.)

Old 05-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Philip
writes

Can anyone recommend makers of secatuers that will suit my purpose and
if the answer is Felco, then recommend an outlet that is competitve in
its pricing.

I bought some Felco's a few years ago.

The cheapest, even with shipping and tax etc. was from the US, recommend
them though.

http://www.frostproof.com/

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 07-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Rod

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:07:24 +0100, Robert wrote:

If you are thinking of the roller
handle models it is essential that you try them first - particularly if
you have small hands.

Definitely an aquired taste which I failed to aquire. I use the cack
handed ones (No. 9) though I'm equally comfortable (though I'm left
handed) with the original No 2 which is the most popular standard
issue for nursery workers.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:56:29 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Nick Gray" wrote after
"Philip" wrote
[...]

Try www.lbs-group.co.uk they do mail order currently have the whole range
listed at between £14 and £35

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Felco secateurs on Amazon sale now rbel United Kingdom 0 26-11-2014 09:46 AM
What do you think of felco secateurs? Bingley Gardens Gardening 1 20-11-2009 10:07 PM
Felco secateurs Robert United Kingdom 8 03-08-2003 09:42 AM
which Felco would you recommend? JAC Roses 5 10-05-2003 02:08 PM