Old 07-10-2004, 02:21 PM
William W. Plummer

PK wrote:
I wasn't brought up in these parts so I'm not altogether sure of the best
approach to this but I have a lot of bumps and hollows in my yard and I'd
like my lawn to be a lot smoother come next Spring.

Now, trying to excuse my ignorance of how to go about this ...

- I should do this in the Spring just as the grass is about to grow? or
before the frosts come?

- My soil is just normal Texas 'clay' with about 2 inches of sand that the
builders put down and then the 1-2 inches on the sod - should I be adding
topsoil to my entire yard if I can afford it? My Bermuda grass was fairly
good this year but a little patchy and very bumpy.

- Alternatively does a roller work well with repeated use?

- The important question - where does one get a few cubic yards of good
topsoil near Frisco, TX?

I saw them putting down some nice topsoil along side George Bush Turnpike
but I think they would notice me parked alongside the road. Actually, the
topsoil going down alongside the Turnpike is what made me thing if this is
the time of year to do such a thing.

Any advice welcome.

Regards,
PK

My yard is bumpy, also. I've tried towing around a standard roller
filled with water, but it really doesn't help. Of course, if you have
tree roots causing the bumps, you'll have to get rid of them or cover
them every few years with soil. I'm trying raking topsoil and seed
over the low spots, but without scarifying the original surface. I
don't know how it will work.