Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
escapee

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:55:48 +0100, Gus opined:

Each evening I put out chestnuts for the local squirrel. The bowel can
hold 8 mixed size chestnuts. Each morning I noticed that only a small
number were taken. I decided to put out 7, in the morning 3 were left.
The next morning I put out 6, it left 2. For the last week I have put
out 5, it always leaves one taking only 4. This raises the questions;
why does this squirrel only take 4 chestnuts? can this squirrel count?
It takes them away one at a time.

Squirrels are much smarter than people know. We have one who comes to the back
door screen and taps when it's out of peanuts. I never noticed counting, but it
somehow knows the peanuts come from inside the house and they know where the
door is. My guess, they are smart.